Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 07:11 PM

Another step in the right direction

Or should that be the light direction.

Come September other than old stock halogen lightbulbs will be phased out and replaced by very much more efficient Light Emitting Diode light sources. Same with miniature fluorescent tube bulbs including full size fluorescent tubes in industry

Only slightly more expensive than halogen bulbs the saving in terms of pollution from electricity load will be around one and a quarter MILLION tons of CO2 a year. That's like taking half a million cars from the road and that's worth having, and it's just the UK.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 07:47 PM

Re: Another step in the right direction

Yes, I heard this on the news earlier. Good thing too - I could not believe the level of pollution halogen bulbs create
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Yes, I heard this on the news earlier. Good thing too - I could not believe the level of pollution halogen bulbs create
Only because the light source is an incandescent filament and the amount of electricity it takes to get them hot enough. However the power budget to make them is noticeably higher than traditional bulbs.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 08:21 PM

This has been going on for a while now. You'd be hard-pressed to find incandescent or halogen lamps these days as they're being phased out over time. A twelve-volt LED lamp is available now to replace the standard 12V halogen lamps. They work with the standard 12V transformer too but aren't as efficient as those that use the standard driver board.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 08:53 PM

I’m not happy..in fact, I’m incandescent with rage
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I’m not happy..in fact, I’m incandescent with rage
Yes, and what about us folks who, have lived our lives like candles in the wind?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:36 PM

note to self : stock up on halogen bulbs before they are phased out...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:45 PM

We used to blame being in the Common Market for all these rulings but nothing will change now we’ve ‘sort of’ left.

I bet they will never bring back powerful suction vacuum cleaners either.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

I bet they will never bring back powerful suction vacuum cleaners either.
Probably not...too much electricity used, and besides, lots of people have wooden flooring now, not carpets.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2021, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Probably not...too much electricity used, and besides, lots of people have wooden flooring now, not carpets.
I thought wooden flooring was going out of fashion?

I always feel sorry for dogs and cats that slip all over the place on wooden floors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top