Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Mobile phone.

My hubby has never used a mobile phone in his life - he says he doesn't want one but I think he ought to have one for emergencies. I think he'll accept one if I get him one but it will have to be dead basic and simple. - Oh and cheap!

Any suggestions/recommendations/ gratefully received.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 04:45 PM

Re: Mobile phone.

I'm on pay as you go with Vodafone .... calls not cheap and texts 12p but it is only for emergencies so hey ho !

My latest phone was free if I bought a £10 top-up and they put the sim card from my old phone in so cheaper than buying a new battery for that one

I think Tesco, etc do deals like that too and they seem to have good offers on top-ups and call charges etc.

Good luck Carol .... but hubby should have a mobile !!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 05:20 PM

Ive got a very basic Nokia ,just sends and receives calls and Text.,i can set the alarm clock on it too if i want . I just needed mine for when i was out by myself which is not often now .
What i don't get on with very well is finding all the right keys ,it takes me for ever to type a message .
This is where the more modern ones would suit me better ,having the letters on a keyboard on the screen which i think Tony would find easier .
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My hubby has never used a mobile phone in his life - he says he doesn't want one but I think he ought to have one for emergencies. I think he'll accept one if I get him one but it will have to be dead basic and simple. - Oh and cheap!

Any suggestions/recommendations/ gratefully received.
this is like mine carol, I got it because I like to take pictures, it has a great camera and it's simple to use.

I rarely make calls and my main use is the camera, I'm on TMobile Pay as you go, they appears to have the cheapest tariff and I only put £5 on it which lasts a long time, all in all it's a great all rounder particularly if you don't need all the bells and whistles available from the latest offerings

I took it with me to the USA so I could take lots of pictures and then easily transfer them on to my laptop, I'm hopeless with an ordinary camera but this one is a joy to use if you're camera challenged
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 05:23 PM

I have a basic phone from Tesco, they are very helpful.
I top up every 6 months at the post office.
Its switched off and rarely used.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 05:56 PM

I have a basic Nokia too , the battery lasts ages ...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1476255.htm

I was offered my sons iphone but prefer my little Nokia .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Ive got a very basic Nokia ,just sends and receives calls and Text.,i can set the alarm clock on it too if i want . I just needed mine for when i was out by myself which is not often now .
What i don't get on with very well is finding all the right keys ,it takes me for ever to type a message .
This is where the more modern ones would suit me better ,having the letters on a keyboard on the screen which i think Tony would find easier .
For a short time I had a phone with the keyboard on the screen and I couldn't get on with it at all - kept hitting the wrong letter, although I'm led to believe that it's easier if you use something like a cut down knitting needle instead of your finger. Eventually I sold it and went back to the conventional keyboard. I pay £7 a month and use it for all out-going calls rather than my landline which is mainly used for incoming calls.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 07:36 PM

I'd go with Meg's suggestion. I've found Nokia to be reliable phones, and the battery life in the basic ones is really good.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 11:25 AM

I think I'll get him a basic Nokia. You can get one for as little as £15.
Thanks everybody.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Yes basic nokia here too, must find it, use it so rarely I tend to lose tack of it so in an emergency it's unlikely to be with me. Might be worth considering that before buying one. My husband thought I needed one and despairs I think as I just don't think of using it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top