Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 05:30 PM

Naughty vw

Has anyone seen the recent news story regarding vw in the usa?
Apparently they have rigged their diesel cars to give lower emissions readings when they are being tested ( for emissions) and they could be in for massive fines, their shares are taking a hammering because of this, I wonder if they have done the same in Europe and if petrol models are doing it as well, it will be interesting to see how this story develops
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 05:43 PM

Re: Naughty vw

Trouble with the European laws and the USA laws they are
different about omissions. Therefore, the ones on the VW in
the USA are not above and beyond the limit in the European
law. Hence the reason the USA is so rich with all the fines they
give out.
Not saying it was right of VW to do this but they are a bit over
the top in the USA when it comes to sueing someone.
Cant see VW buying Red Bulls position in the F1 now.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Trouble with the European laws and the USA laws they are different about omissions. .....
I'll make it my mission to correct your "omission" and favour "emission".
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 06:27 PM

Why have they done this anyway - what would be the 'advantage' to VW - why take such a risk ?
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 06:42 PM

Good for them!! Maybe now the Government will realise that their demands for "this" to be better and "that" to be better are starting to cause problems... YEah right!! Of course they won't, but we can hope.

Besides, years ago you bought a car for the build quality, size and how powerful it was. I don't remember fuel economy or emissions ever being brought up until the mid to late 1980s. Why was that? Because back then fuel was actually cheap enough that it didn't matter. Now you have to think about whether you can afford to run the car or not before you buy it. It's insane.

My car (a 2013 MG-6 diesel saloon) gets very good fuel economy but filling it up is still hard on the bank balance. Don't get me wrong, I can afford it - but if I were living on my salary only I would struggle - put it that way.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 06:49 PM

I guess the reason they have done this is to have more favourable emissions readings to show their cars are greener than the next manufacturer so you might be influenced when deciding to buy a new car
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I guess the reason they have done this is to have more favourable emissions readings to show their cars are greener than the next manufacturer so you might be influenced when deciding to buy a new car
So I guess it is cheaper for them to cheat on the emissions test, than to build a car that is capable of a good result .....
Well its far from cheap now ...................
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 08:15 PM

Who can you trust these days ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 10:26 PM

It's been on every news programme all day. Apparently they have put billions of pounds away for the inevitable approaching costs and fines.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I'll make it my mission to correct your "omission" and favour "emission".
Oh, I don't know. Perhaps BE was referring to their omitting to have taken more care in their testing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top