Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 05:06 PM

Back again...

Not sure whether to post this in 'Travel' or not........
I'll see about some photos.

Back again. Our holiday in Lisbon was pretty good, but now it's back to housework, shopping and feeding the pigs.

The BA flight from Aberdeen to Heathrow and on to Lisbon was uneventful and we took a taxi through the rush-hour to our hotel.

The hotel we booked was in a very good location for the city, restaurants, parks and Botanic gardens. Room was nice with a good view but breakfast wasn't great - certainly not 4* standard. The breakfast room was small and crowded. The food was OK, but unimaginative.

First tip - good walking shoes are vital. The pedestrian areas are all paved with small black & white 'cobbles' - millions of them set in geometric patterns, but are about as level as a ploughed field.

Second tip - some of the best restaurants are tucked away in grubby little back streets. Don't let this put you off. We had some fantastic (large) meals - two courses and a bottle of good wine for around 40 Euro - and that's for both of us.
And yes, I did try the salt cod - OK, but not really my favourite. I preferred the octapus. Also tried the custard tarts. Again OK, but a bit sweet for our taste.

The down side of Lisbon, even in September, is the sheer volume of tourists. The long queues and crowds spoiled much of the sightseeing, but all was not lost. Avoid tours and the 'must see' attractions. Forget the map, switch off your phone (if you can bear to) and take to the back streets of Bairro Alto or the city parks. There are lots of hidden gems all over the place - little squares with small cafes and scruffy little shops. Be sure to take a camera. There are some quite stunning examples of architecture to be seen, though often this is on empty buildings. I hope that some day these places are restored to their former glory.
Even better, get out of the city and visit the museums at Belem or go on along the coast 30 minutes to Cascais - a world away from Lisbon.

An observation.... even on a wet day in Aberdeen, some idiots insist on wearing sun glasses - especially when driving. They may think they look 'cool' but I think they look plain stupid. Very few people wore sun glasses in Lisbon, and many of the girls who did, wore them on top of their head to keep their hair in place.

Flights back were a bit dire. Flight from Lisbon had to 'hold' over London for 20 mins, and when it landed, another plane was in its designated gate. More delays. It then took almost an hour to get from T3 to T5. Seemingly endless queues, queues and security checks. There should have been 2 1/2 hours between flights, but we had just about time to grab a sandwich before it was time for the Aberdeen flight. At least it was on time.

So there you are. If I went back to Lisbon, it would be in spring. Certainly not in summer / Autumn. However, next year we'll probably take the camper across to Europe. As Paul Theroux put it, "Tourists don't know where they've been, travellers don't know where they're going." That's the joy of having a camper - you don't need to know where you're going, you just go.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Re: Back again...

Hello George welcome back. You trip sounds very interesting ...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:33 PM

Sounds like you had a great holiday, George - I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Welcome back!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:42 PM

We went to Lisbon earlier this year and I agree that it is a lovely place.
We stayed in a 'grubby back street' (not grubby at all, of course); a place called Casa di Pateo, which I can firmly recommend.
Needless to say, the people were very friendly wherever we went.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:48 PM

Welcome back George.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 11:25 PM

Welcome home GW
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 12:04 AM

Glad you had a good time Grumblewagon

Those Pasteis De Natas are sweet indeed, but every time I go to Lisbon I have to have one (or 6!). You just can't get them here with the same authentic taste.

Did you find a good fish restaurant?
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 07:34 AM

Not specifically a fish restaurant, but this place was outstanding.

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/floresta-do-salitre-lisboa

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top