Join for free
Page 92 of 95 « First < 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 > Last »
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

04-06-2021, 02:39 PM

Re: What book are you reading now?

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ulla, have you read The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak? Its along similar lines.
No Pixie but I have seen the movie
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Me too, but as usual, the book is far better (in my opinion anyway)
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 09:46 AM

I also saw the movie, and wish I had read the book first - I always find it hard to read a book after I've seen the film. One of my favourite films is Lion - I bought the book afterwards when I spotted it on Amazon, but I keep putting off reading it, simply because of the I-already-know-the-story issue. I often studiously avoid films that come up on Netflix, because I want to read the book first, but I do fail sometimes in this resolve!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I also saw the movie, and wish I had read the book first - I always find it hard to read a book after I've seen the film. One of my favourite films is Lion - I bought the book afterwards when I spotted it on Amazon, but I keep putting off reading it, simply because of the I-already-know-the-story issue. I often studiously avoid films that come up on Netflix, because I want to read the book first, but I do fail sometimes in this resolve!
Me too, Sheba! I had a quick look at the blurb on the Lion book you mentioned - I really fancy that! Not watching the movie though - I'm done with movies-from-books now, they never make a decent job of it.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Me too, Sheba! I had a quick look at the blurb on the Lion book you mentioned - I really fancy that! Not watching the movie though - I'm done with movies-from-books now, they never make a decent job of it.
Yes, I know what you mean, but if I spot a film based on a book I've loved, I do find it hard to resist! Some of them are OK, but one of the films that really annoyed me was Captain Correlli's Mandolin, which was switched from a poignant, gritty WW2 story about the Italian invasion of a Greek island, with a romantic theme running through it, to a Hollywood style love story with a bit of war in the background. And the ending was laughably changed, where the main characters got back together only a little while after the war, instead of years later, in their 80s, with all the poignancy of their lost life together.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 04:53 AM

I was in a second hand book shop in Dubbo today when I came across "Beyonf the Black Stump" by Nevil Shute so i thought i would reread it after many , many decades - I can't remember the story at all.

One of the advantages of growing old is that everything old is new again.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

06-06-2021, 12:08 PM

On Audible, Brill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything. Fascinating, but does its job which is to put me to sleep at night.
On Kindle, James Maxwell, The Lore of the Evermen (book 4 of The Evermen Saga).
Physical book, Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman, The Bachman Books.
Oldbod
United Kingdom
Oldbod is female 

07-06-2021, 02:12 PM

The Postscript Murders by Elly Griffiths, a whodunit on Kindle. I have read several of her books. Enjoyable - if one can say that of murder...
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

14-06-2021, 02:37 PM

Just finished The Golden Cage by Swedish bestselling author Camilla Läckberg.

Faye, who hides a dark and sinister childhood secret is the wife of a millionaire living in the upper class echelons of Stockholm society. She has sacrificed everything including a university education and a brilliant future to help her husband and his partner start their telemarketing business.

When her husband betrays her and leaves her without a penny she devises a way to extract revenge and ruin him in a ruthless way. The book has flashbacks from the present to Faye’s first years in Stockholm and her childhood in the small west coast town of Fjällbacka, which incidentally is Läckberg’s own home town.

The book is also sexually very explicit.

This is the first novel in a new series of novels written by Swedish author Camilla Läckberg centering around Faye. The second part Wings of Silver was released in Sweden last year. Her books have been translated intoover 40 languages and sold in 60 countries

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilla_Läckberg
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 03:06 PM

Just finished The Golden Cage by Swedish bestselling author Camilla Läckberg.

Faye, who hides a dark and sinister childhood secret is the wife of a millionaire living in the upper class echelons of Stockholm society. She has sacrificed everything including a university education and a brilliant future to help her husband and his partner start their telemarketing business.

When her husband betrays her and leaves her without a penny she devises a way to extract revenge and ruin him in a ruthless way. The book has flashbacks from the present to Faye’s first years in Stockholm and her childhood in the small west coast town of Fjällbacka, which incidentally is Läckberg’s own home town.

The book is also sexually very explicit.

This is the first novel in a new series of novels written by Swedish author Camilla Läckberg centering around Faye. The second part Wings of Silver was released in Sweden last year. Her books have been translated intoover 40 languages and sold in 60 countries

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilla_Läckberg
I’m a reader of books from the Scandinavian countries and remember this author’s name as someone I’ve read in the past so I will look this one you’ve mentioned here .
I also watch ScandinavianNoir series wherever I can find them . Just watched Swedish Box 21 . . I know it was written quite a long time ago and think it would have been difficult to read anyway.The whole to watch was very disturbing and nerve wracking . A brilliant production tho . Scandi’s do these crime dramas so well .

Page 92 of 95 « First < 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top