Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2009, 02:06 PM

Theft can't stop 81 year old Paperboy!

I hope the thieves give his bike back!

An 81-year-old "paper boy" who had his bicycle stolen while on his round is back in the saddle.

Norman Bennett, of Cardiff, had stopped off for a cup of tea at a friend's house in Ely when his bike was pinched.

But that has not stopped Mr Bennett from carrying out his morning round six days a week because he has now borrowed a bike from a neighbour.

Mr Bennett delivers newspapers to around 10 people in Ely who are too frail to do it themselves.

"I was in a person's house and left my bike on the driveway and the lady there offered me a cup of tea," he said.

"I was there about a quarter of an hour or 20 minutes and when I came out, I said to her 'my bike has gone'."

But that did not stop Mr Bennett, a former Welsh Guard who started delivering papers in 2006 after his wife died, from finishing his round.

"The lady in the house offered to take me round in the car," he said.

"I said there's no reason really but she said she felt guilty because she asked me in for a cup of tea and it wouldn't have been taken otherwise!"

'Quite distinctive'

Mr Bennett now has two bicycles at his disposal after a neighbour loaned him one and another neighbour returned one of his own old bikes.

But he is still desperate to get his other bike back.

Pc Richie Edmunds, from the Ely neighbourhood policing team, said: "The gentleman delivers newspapers for a local newsagent and while doing his rounds on Saturday his bike was taken from the driveway of a house in Cowbridge Road West.

"We are conducting enquiries locally and checking CCTV in the area. However, we are also appealing to the local community for any information."

Pc Edmunds said the Peugeot bicycle was "quite distinctive" because of its light turquoise colour. It also had a worn leather saddle and a yellow South Wales Echo bag attached to the back of it.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Ely police station on 029 2022 2111 or independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/8225430.stm
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Re: Theft can't stop 81 year old Paperboy!

He's a very smart paper boy isn't he?
If I wasn't already fixed I might be interested in this hard-working specimen
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2009, 02:23 PM

I hope the thieves give his bike back
If not lets hope some kind person with an unused bike or a bit of spare money will give him another
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2009, 03:05 PM

He does look nifty, doesn't he ........ drop handlebars too!

I hope the thief is feeling guilty and returns his bicycle.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2009, 09:40 PM

He definitely is a well dressed paper boy Hope they do find the thief and he gets his bike back
Lou
UK
Lou is female  Lou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2009, 11:56 PM

Aww Bless him I'll never understand why these robbing gits can't leave other peoples property alone. It makes me so angry. Poor Man x

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top