Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
plainjane
Worcs
plainjane is female 

29-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Oooooo...what a quandary

My daughter has just had to move back home and has asked how much house keeping we want. This shound be a simple thing to sort out but.....I am having a hard time coming up with an answer for her.

She had to move out of the house that she shared as one of her house-mates moved out and the others couldn't afford the rent between them. House rentals in this area are astronomical and she cant find anything else affordable at the mo.

My problem is....her elder brother still lives here and he does not contribute due to circumstances that I can't go into on here. Her other brother has his own flat but regularly uses the resteraunt of mom and dad as he is on a low income. Our Office is what was her old bedroom so she has had to have the room that we use as a whelping room for the dogs.....a nice room large with pation doors out to the garden. She has moved in on a temp basis as she understands that we will be needing the room after Christmas as prob two litters will need that room in the spring.

What on earth do I say? How much do I ask for? She is insistant that she should pay.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Re: Oooooo...what a quandary

You`ll have to work out how much she needs to live - fares etc., plus a little to spend. The rest is Housekeeping & bills. That`s what I do. One son pays £50 a week, the other pays £35. This is because their incomes are different. They get their own takeaways if they want a treat, and the phone is barred so it`s local calls only. This is much lower than they`d pay if they were on their own.
If they were working I`d ask more.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 02:19 PM

When I lived at home as an adult before I married and I was employed I used to give my mum a set weekly "rent" (can't remember how much now - this was early 1980's) and then I used to pay one third of all the bills except for the mortgage - there were 3 adults in the house.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 05:11 PM

What on earth do I say? How much do I ask for? She is insistant that she should pay.

Hi Jane in that situation I would ask your daughter what she feels is a fair amount, then if need be negotiate up or down from there...
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 05:32 PM

It is a time to sit down and work out what each of your children should contribute.
Tell me the dogs business or pets?
If they are pets your children come first if it is a business some problem serving is needed.
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by plainjane ->
My daughter has just had to move back home and has asked how much house keeping we want. This shound be a simple thing to sort out but.....I am having a hard time coming up with an answer for her.

She had to move out of the house that she shared as one of her house-mates moved out and the others couldn't afford the rent between them. House rentals in this area are astronomical and she cant find anything else affordable at the mo.

My problem is....her elder brother still lives here and he does not contribute due to circumstances that I can't go into on here. Her other brother has his own flat but regularly uses the resteraunt of mom and dad as he is on a low income. Our Office is what was her old bedroom so she has had to have the room that we use as a whelping room for the dogs.....a nice room large with pation doors out to the garden. She has moved in on a temp basis as she understands that we will be needing the room after Christmas as prob two litters will need that room in the spring.

Difficult one as they others dont pay anything.

Maybe take minimal sum , and save it for her , for when she goes again.

Otherwise, just say buy your own toiletries and such
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 05:39 PM

My son does not pay rent, but he does buy is own food, toiletries etc,,,,
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 05:48 PM

I'm sorry I don't agree with not charging a fair amount. Not meanness but when they move out (again) they will have no concept of the cost of living etc. Charge now but if you can afford to save it and handed it back to them to help with a deposit or setting up costs of their own home. Getting use to the idea that money is for the necessities and what is left over is for holidays and enjoyment is part of life’s lessons.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 06:34 PM

I think I agree with Meg....... ask your daughter what she would consider is a fair amount and see if you are happy with that.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 07:34 PM

We used to charge our daughter £100 a month but she did get an awful lot of that back but I agree with VM as I think it teaches them the value of money and that NILIF....I must say though she is very good with money now
Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top