Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2009, 03:26 PM

What's happening to us Brits ?

Where has politeness gone ?
Where has the spirit gone that won us 2 world wars ?

Today we live in a selfish society where even our politicians are on-the-make.
Dreadful, . . makes you ashamed to be British don't it.

It seems the general public have that "football terracing attitude" where it's the law of the jungle.

There's too much "I need a handout" attitude today, I know a few in their 20's who've never had a job and don't want one !
A friend of mine was shocked with his son's girlfriend's attitude, they lived together in a flat, she got deliberately pregnant by him then threw him out, all she wanted was to go on benefits.
The system's all wrong and it's helping this kind of attitude and it's us tax payers that are paying the bills.
In the 50's there was no DSS, if you wanted to eat you had to work, I've worked all my life, some of the jobs I've had would kill the young ones today, however, we want to move forward and have a better life not go back in time to the "good old days", . . believe me, there was no Health and Safety at Work Act until 1973, if there had been some of the places I've worked in would be shut down rapidly.

Driving's become a nightmare and not because of the volume of traffic, I've said this for years, . . introduce compulsory driving re-tests every 5 years, your car has to be tested every year so why not your driving skills every 5 years.
If you fail they should give you 3 months to pass, if you don't pass after a re-sit then they should withdraw your full licence and issue a provisional one.

That's the moan over folks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Re: What's happening to us Brits ?

I think there are both good and bad things whatever time/age we choose to look at .

I can remember 'certain families' often very large ones (because of the lack of contraception in those days) when I was at primary school back in the 1950's who somehow seemed to manage to milk the system.

I also remember being scared to go out in town in the 50's early 60's because of the gangs of 'Teddy Boys' with bicycle chains and flick knives.

There are some wonderful caring young people about these days .
I know a group who give up their summer holidays to go out to help in a school in the Gambia not only to assist in teaching the children but to decorate the class rooms and to provide books and writing equipment etc.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2009, 05:24 PM

My mum told me about growing up before the war. She was chaperoned everywhere (by her brothers) and girls were expected to go into Service. For her, the war was a liberation, because she was `allowed` to get a job and meet people. And I remember the 50`s when people were so worried about `keeping up with the Joneses` and `what the neighbours thought`.
So while things have changed, I don`t think it`s so bad now. Yes, people are rude and ignorant sometimes - but they always have been. Think about the 80`s and the `Greed is Good` mentality, with the Yuppies as society`s heroes.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Denis - I think that a lot of what you say is true but as both Meg and Claire have pointed out there always have been the ignorant and rude in any generation.

What I firmly believe is that the media in 2009 are so all embracing that they give publicity to people who really should not be in the news at all, it's got so bad that 'being on telly' has been seen as a good thing no matter what the cause.

You want a classic example ? Well take the recent riots involving West Ham and Millwall supporters, terrible but to those involved the fact that they have been filmed and seen on TV is regarded as some kind 'Badge of Honour'
It sounds crazy but IMO there is too much news, too many current affairs programmes, too many wanna be TV 'experts' who pop up out of the woodwork to give their opinions on all and sundry.

Answer me this "Who the hell cares if some East London yobs have had a massive fight outside a pub in the east End" who ? (Apart from the people living in that street and they didn't need plastered all over Sky News (and the other channels)

The media should be taking a more responsible attitude but given the intelligence and total lack of morals of almost the entire media industry I doubt we will see it anytime soon!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->

The media should be taking a more responsible attitude but given the intelligence and total lack of morals of almost the entire media industry I doubt we will see it anytime soon!!
It's news Harvey, it sells newspapers, however I read in another thread this week how an assistant in a shop made another member here wait 'till she finished her phone call on her mobile.

This is what I meant by ill mannered folks today, if the offended person had complained to management nothing would've been, years ago she'd have been sacked on the spot, they can't do that any more in case they get sued for unfair dismissal.

It's all crazy innit.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
It's all crazy innit.
It certainly is :- I don't know the answer, again as mentioned above there are some good ones about, but when it comes to shopping or trying to get some sense out of a help desk it seems the whole world has gone mad

Talking of mobile phones, here's another example, I recently hired a motorhome, on the first night I found the heater wasn't working ! I phoned the hire company sales guy who said bring it back which I did a couple of days latter as agreed only to find all the sales staff had left the day before to go to an exhibition. There was a guy in the workshop and he (reluctantly) offered to look at the problem, three times during his attempt to fix it he walked off with his mobile stuck to his ear on a personal call (Something to do with his credit card) and in the end he couldn't fix it, the error codeon the display was 'wiring fault' but he insisted they would have to order a new heater unit !!!!!

Needless to say I will never use that firm again!!!
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2009, 07:37 AM

I also believe it to be a case of 'as ye sow -so shall ye reap' -in that it was our generation which spawned this -'want not need' society
nero
Central Scotland

31-08-2009, 09:46 AM

What's being broadcasted on the box has a lot to do with it too, so called family viewing, Eastenders is just one that comes to mind, every crime that's possible to commit has been screened on that program and it's screened in the early evening.

Young teenagers from 10 - 16 are very impressionable, they look at the characters in this as role models, what an example to set, the program is giving out all the wrong messages as to how to behave in a civilised society, murder, rape, incest, and a lot of devious behaviour too long to list here.
cathy
essex
cathy is female  cathy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2009, 10:16 PM

please and thankyou are words that are vanishing rapidly from the english language.it does make me angry.
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Yes I agree -we have become less well mannered -less tolerant. Also I have to say that the kids nowadays have a totally different meaning for the word 'respect'

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top