Join for free
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 02:04 PM

Bike ride

I went for my first e-bike ride today since the lockdown. It might be more risky than staying indoors but I feel better for going out. I hope I do in about 3 weeks as well.

While out, I went to the allotment. It was good to see how all the plants were doing and to talk to the people there who I've got to know ..from a distance of course.

Now back to doing nothing again.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 08:54 PM

Re: Bike ride

Well done Mart!

I had to Google e-bike's, never heard of them They are electric? Have you recently got it because I always imagined you rode an 'ordinary' one when you've said you've been out riding your bike.

I'm a nosy bugga aren't I?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 09:16 PM

I rode an ordinary bike for many years ..and still will sometimes. I thought I'd use the e-bike this time because I haven't ridden since the lockdown started and the muscles probably aren't what they were.

The point was more just getting out this time rather than it having any exercise purpose. I was getting so that I never wanted to go out at all! That's why it's been a big deal for me to go out on the bike and why I wrote about it.

I said I wouldn't get an e-bike until I was 75. I got it a year early as it turned out and I've had it for nearly two years.

Edit: Sorry Pesta, I forgot to answer the 'electric' part. Yes e-bikes are electric. They don't go unless they are pedalled but the pedalling is assisted, so less effort is needed to pedal them along. The speed is limited to 15.5 M.P.H although, like an ordinary bikes, they will roll faster than that down a hill.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I rode an ordinary bike for many years ..and still will sometimes. I thought I'd use the e-bike this time because I haven't ridden since the lockdown started and the muscles probably aren't what they were.

The point was more just getting out this time rather than it having any exercise purpose. I was getting so that I never wanted to go out at all! That's why it's been a big deal for me to go out on the bike and why I wrote about it.

I said I wouldn't get an e-bike until I was 75. I got it a year early as it turned out and I've had it for nearly two years.
Yes, I guessed it was all about getting out again. Stagnating comes to mind doesn't it

I can relate to muscles 'relaxing' over this period of lockdown. My hips ache every morning when they never did. It's just because I'm hardly walking as I used to. I'm sitting more too.

Still at least I haven't gained weight, just a bit of flab flabbing where it never did before
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

10-06-2020, 09:38 PM

I've been using a stepping stool indoors to step up and down to music. It's a discipline to do that though ..and a bit boring. It was nice to get out and ride for a few miles and then have a chat to people on the allotment.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-06-2020, 09:53 PM

Well, I've no excuse really, I have a fold away treadmill under the bed in the spare room. Also a silly step machine that I've never liked. Every morning I say I will get the treadmill out, but I don't.

I still do stuff and keep moving about, but I've never sat down so much in the day like I have been doing. I'm surprised I've enjoyed it TBH. Doing crosswords, sewing, reading. I must stop soon. I feel a slob

Yes, it's good to have a natter in the big wide world. I bet you felt a lot brighter after the ride, fresh air and the chat.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

10-06-2020, 10:13 PM

Indoor exercisers do take a lot of self-discipline to use and not all of us are very good at that (me included). Walk half a mile on them and it's easy to stop when you get puffed. If you walk half a mile away from home, you can't give up because it's another half mile to get back again.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-06-2020, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Indoor exercisers do take a lot of self-discipline to use and not all of us are very good at that (me included). Walk half a mile on them and it's easy to stop when you get puffed. If you walk half a mile away from home, you can't give up because it's another half mile to get back again.
Yes, that's true

It's so boring on the treadmill. Going on and on, speeding it up and still getting nowhere fast. Looking at the same spot out the window. I have 'sea legs' after for a while and it's a bugga if the phone rings
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

10-06-2020, 10:34 PM

Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 09:08 AM

E-bikes. Been there done that. But mine were from kits that you add to the normal ATB. Curry kits they were. The only problem was they were sealed lead acid batteries and that made it heavy. No need for a pedal start, just press the button. No cutout on the brake ether.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	B49EDF02-E58B-4C6B-82F0-AECF22E5AF0C.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	12905  

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top