Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 03:28 PM

walking question

I was wondering that if your walking up a steep hill on a pavement, is it better to take long strides which means each leg needs more muscle power to lift the body, or short steps means less muscle leg power but more often.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 04:23 PM

Re: walking question

It's always difficult to say what others should do because we're all different. Don't want to say 'do this' or 'do that' and then hear the person has had a heart attack, strained a muscle or something.

If I'm walking for exercise, I do the stride that comes naturally on any upward gradient but fast enough to make the lungs work and the heart speed up.

If doing that, I think muscle tone follows as a subsequence.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It's always difficult to say what others should do because we're all different. Don't want to say 'do this' or 'do that' and then hear the person has had a heart attack, strained a muscle or something.

If I'm walking for exercise, I do the stride that comes naturally on any upward gradient but fast enough to make the lungs work and the heart speed up.

If doing that, I think muscle tone follows as a subsequence.

I walk regularly, almost everyday for two miles. I keep my speed about the same, not meandering, but I do let my body decide my pace on inclines. I can feel the exercise was brisk, as it takes my body several minutes to get back to normal when I am finished.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 05:23 PM

Personally I stride out a bit more on hills...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 08:45 PM

Get the bus.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 09:28 PM

I know someone who used to live at the top of a very steep hill, she used to walk backwards up the hill, she said it somehow seemed easier to get up the hill . I'm not joking either
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
get the bus.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 10:28 PM

Personally I would take shorter steps but more of them Realspeed, if you were driving up a steep hill in your car you would change down the gears and get the revs up. More torque and less speed.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 10:41 PM

Can't say, I take reasonably short steps anyway (compared to how I used to walk) I also live in a very flat area so hills are not an option.

I try to walk 5 to 8km each day though the recent wet weather put the kibosh on that.

If anybody is interested there is a phone app called "Simply Walking" which doesn't share your walk data unlike most of these apps. It records your walk on a map as well as graphically and can use kilometres or the more archaic measurements.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201104_083543_com.hmravens.simplywalking.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	14068  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I know someone who used to live at the top of a very steep hill, she used to walk backwards up the hill, she said it somehow seemed easier to get up the hill . I'm not joking either

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top