Join for free
Page 32 of 42 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 10:53 PM

Re: Foxy's Latest Project.

Is this the future.......Frightening or what.....
https://twitter.com/i/status/1258797162684653568
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 11:09 PM

Blimey that's a bit weird. Surely the fright of seeing something like that would make you cluster together?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'll have nightmares about that now, Bob!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 11:56 PM

I take it that this is your next project, OGF!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Blimey that's a bit weird. Surely the fright of seeing something like that would make you cluster together?
Notice the runner took no notice Pixie.......
We don't scare easily........
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-03-2021, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'll have nightmares about that now, Bob!
Sorry Mags, just think how scary it will be when a driverless car passes you on the motorway......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-03-2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I take it that this is your next project, OGF!
Now that's an idea JB......
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the compliment (I think..) Fruitcake, I had actually considered carrying a rucksack with a larger power supply should the device be power hungry, or I was intending to spend long hours searching for the Yorkshire Hoard...But the jury is still out on both.

Incidentally, the heat sink on the resistor made no difference, so we move into plan 'C'..... Increasing the size of the control potentiometer....
Yeh, thing is, if you fill that rucksack up with the battery then how are you going to haul all that treasure that you uncover
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2021, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Yeh, thing is, if you fill that rucksack up with the battery then how are you going to haul all that treasure that you uncover
If he has a bag-load of treasure, he can afford to ditch the battery, or 'phone for a chauffer to come and collect the thing.

Foxy, I don't know if you are interested, or if you have access to Sky TV, but a new series of River Hunters is due to start on the History channel on the 5th of April.
Two guys go rummaging around riverbeds in historical places such as next to a castle or an ancient river crossing using small pointer detectors. They have found all sorts of things including a Bronze Age axe-head.

Series 1 is also available on catch up.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

16-03-2021, 12:11 PM

If you are of a sensitive disposition, get bored easily, or have a short attention span....Look away now......It's going to get technical.... And I'll try to address Minx and Fruitcake's concerns while I'm at it....

Not happy with altering the value of the potentiometer, I decided to continue down the route of the heating up of the resistor affair...
A good way to have a visual look inside an electronic circuit is to connect a milliamp meter in series with the battery and study the varying power consumption. It would certainly tell if the circuit was experiencing 'Thermal Runaway'....

The milliamp meter showed an ambient consumption of 21.7 mA...But continued to rise after a short period of time to 23.5 mA. This rise in current required adjustment of the potentiometer which brought the consumption back to 21.7 mA. Over the period of ten or fifteen minutes the consumption had risen so much that there was no longer any more adjustment on the potentiometer, and I was no longer able to stabilise the circuit.

What to do....?
It was obvious that 'thermal runaway' was the culprit, but after the heatsink failed to show any results I removed the circuit board from the unit, and replaced the 680k ohm ( what should have been a 2 watt resistor) with three large resistors (the only heavy duty ones I had) in series, and making up the 680k ohms required. A bit untidy, but practical......

After reassembly of the unit, it was ready to test.
I ran the unit under lab conditions for several minutes, where an initial rise in consumption was counteracted by adjustment, until it stabilised. Good news, it maintained the 21.7 mA for over twenty minutes, and following a search of the front and rear lawns, did not require further adjustment of the potentiometer. No gold coins though....

It had passed it's test with flying colours using the inbuilt 8 ohm speaker, however, when I repeated the test around the garden using the headphones the sensitivity became meteoric! and I found a few anomalies that had laid undiscovered while using the speaker.
Some underground cables connecting the summerhouse to the garage, and even some metal shuttering I had used while concreting the drive.....
So it's all systems go folks.......

Minx! Even with a fully operating metal detector I'm not expecting to exceed the remaining space in my rucksack with artifacts.... I must point out also, that with an ambient current of 21.7 mA, six AA batteries should be quite sufficient for a days detecting. But I admire your optimism....

Fruitcake! Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) I don't have any access to Sky. The only dish in my house is the one that I eat my porridge out of....
I watch very little TV, I find it terribly counter productive, however....After suffering a couple of heart attacks I tend to get very tired in the evenings, and pretending to watch TV while resting stops Mrs Fox from worrying and getting concerned about my health....

Page 32 of 42 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top