Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 05:26 PM

Plusnet Charges and Increases

I've had an email from Plusnet regarding my phone and broadband etc:

"Once your fixed price contract minimum term ends, your terms and conditions will include price changes. This means the price for broadband, line rental, call plans and call charges will be increased on or after 1st June 2021 and then on or after 1st March every year from March 2022. On or after 1st June 2021, prices will increase by the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation published by the Office for National Statistics in April of that year plus 3.9%.

On or after 1st March every year from March 2022, prices will increase by the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation published by the Office for National Statistics in January of that year plus 3.9%. Other prices, content and terms may also change during your contract. If you have any discounts on your price at the time of the price change, the increase will be applied to this amount. See CPI Plus 3.9% Guide for details."

So..........my fixed price contract ends in February and I'm reading the above to mean that whatever the increased charge from February is, in June there'll be a further price increase of CPI% + 3.9%. Then in March 2022 there'll be another price increase of CPI% + 3.9%.

CPI at the moment = 1.6% so total price increase after only FOUR MONTHS will be 5.5% and will increase the following year by another massive 5.5%!

Have I read this right? I'm hoping I haven't!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 05:31 PM

Re: Plusnet Charges and Increases

You haven't misread it, Lindy. Do what everyone should do when a contract comes up for renewal:

1. Shop around for a better deal.
2. Phone existing supplier to see if they can match or improve on this deal.
3. Go with the best offer.

I'm with Sky, have been for donkeys. Every time my contract comes up, I phone them and say I'm leaving unless you can either match what X is offering me AND keep the TV side of the contract the same as last time. I'm still paying more or less the same as I was 6 years ago.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 06:08 PM

Be quick in finding a new deal because I just found this article about Plusnet's price increases and the author of the article says the price increase model is something that ALL broadband providers are looking to introduce.

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/gu...sumers-can-do/

Looks like consumers are going to pay a hefty price for the government's lockdowns and tier restrictions.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 06:18 PM

Thanks PV and Dodge. Think I need to prioritise this - can't believe they're offering a new deal followed by a 5.5% price increase within FOUR months!

I've been looking on Money Supermarket but the Plusnet deals shown there are for new customers only and the only other provider I recognise is BT - who I truly dislike. I'll need to ask friends about other providers as I think there are some local ones specific to the island.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks PV and Dodge. Think I need to prioritise this - can't believe they're offering a new deal followed by a 5.5% price increase within FOUR months!

I've been looking on Money Supermarket but the Plusnet deals shown there are for new customers only and the only other provider I recognise is BT - who I truly dislike. I'll need to ask friends about other providers as I think there are some local ones specific to the island.
Basically it's a scam in my opinion and ALL the broadband companies do it with their deals. I went with Virgin Media for a long time BUT when I originally got the deal, it was a good deal at the time, the small print said that prices would increase in line CPI in April (new financial year) which effectively meant the deal they was offering was not a good deal. Many years later I switch to Sky and the did exactly the same thing, offered a good deal BUT price would increase come April due to CPI. Switched to BT, they did the same. Switched back to Sky and again they did the same.

It's a scam on a huge scale as far as I'm concerned. They have you a good deal, say £20 for 1st 2 years BUT within those two years you will be subject to a CPI price increase in April, which meant that £20 for 2 years no longer becomes a good deal.

The worst thing is ALL of the broadband companies do this. They tempt you with good deals around Christmas time and then BAM!! come April you see your monthly payments have increased. You ring up customer service and they say 'didn't you read the small print'.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 07:56 PM

Lindy . Let me know what happens and if you change providers please . I'm with plus net and that has confused me now . My contract is up this year sometime. I must check . Now I'm concerned
Lindyloo
isle of wight

10-01-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Lindy . Let me know what happens and if you change providers please . I'm with plus net and that has confused me now . My contract is up this year sometime. I must check . Now I'm concerned
I will. So far others have recommended: Talk Talk; Vodaphone and Wightfibre. An agent has approached me from Utility Warehouse...........not sure about them......... Also advised to comparethemarket; and broadband choices.
Dodge
Kent, UK

10-01-2021, 09:43 PM

Give it a few months and Plusnet will reverse their decision, why? because I believe they will lose at least 50% of their customer base, if not more over this and when such information hits the money markets, the companies shares will fall tremendously and as we all know, when a company notices they are losing money that is when they act . The government lockdowns and tier restrictions has decimated the economy. Millions of people can no longer afford many of the monthly bills and thus will be looking for cheaper alternatives, broadband being one of them. All it will take is for a competitor to come in and offer a cheaper alternative to Plusnet but offer similar broadband speeds and people will flock to the competitor.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

10-01-2021, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Give it a few months and Plusnet will reverse their decision, why? because I believe they will lose at least 50% of their customer base, if not more over this and when such information hits the money markets, the companies shares will fall tremendously and as we all know, when a company notices they are losing money that is when they act . The government lockdowns and tier restrictions has decimated the economy. Millions of people can no longer afford many of the monthly bills and thus will be looking for cheaper alternatives, broadband being one of them. All it will take is for a competitor to come in and offer a cheaper alternative to Plusnet but offer similar broadband speeds and people will flock to the competitor.
I agree! It's an obvious opportunity for an enterprising businessman................the sooner the better!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:04 PM

Lindy, I've just had a thought. Phone Plusnet and tell them you'll renew with them but only if they'll treat you as a new customer otherwise you're off to another provider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top