Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 06:34 AM

Re: Opining an opinion

Sometimes it may be necessary to remind certain people that opinions on subjects may differ - at the beginning of a discussion and still after the problem has been talked about at great length.

I'm thinking of discussions when it becomes obvious that some participants are not content with just stating their personal views alongside many others but when their aim is to dominate the discussion and to get other people to agree with them. This is quite often the case and often a futile exercise.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 07:23 AM

I use IMO sparingly, on the few occasions I am telling the truth AISI.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 07:27 AM

This is an over 50's forum,no one is going to change anyone's mind about anything.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I often write "IMO"..I don't put in the H though. I respect others right to have an "O"...I expect others to respect my "O" in return. My "O" is as good as anybody else's. Nothing to be "H" about. My failing, which I freely admit, is when I see things said here and opinions expressed that are at extreme odds with every human value and principle I live by; I find it difficult not to react. I am passionate about some things. I find it hard to make a joke of things that I see no humour in just to go along with the zeitgeist. In those case when people say something like.."Take a chill pill"..or…"Calm down" I think it really means.."I'm not interested in what you have to say..I just want to stay in my field of experience and not consider yours"..Then I feel glad - for their sake- that they are not here. And that is far from a good thing. We all need to respect each other's "Os". And their differences. We all need to try to be more tolerant and kind to each other. And that applies to me as much as everybody else.....
Excellent post, Keezoy.

I hardly ever use the internet 'shorthand' letters though because I am not entirely sure what all they all mean and I could unintentionally cause offense.

I take it as a given that posters opinions are recognized as such and need no reinforcement.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 07:35 AM

Keezoy, good post as usual, but, sometimes folks are just happier, once they discover apathy (not when it discovers them).Imo.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-04-2021, 07:39 AM

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 07:40 AM

Politics, Brexit, Debates/Discussions ... I don't go there anymore; best left to others.

It's tongue-in-cheek all the way for me.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 07:44 AM

Thanks Tabby and Spit. I agree with everyone here. It's an old chestnut but I guess it's old because it's true. That is if everybody agreed and had the same opinion, it would indeed be a very one dimensional forum. And world. The one thing that happens to me every now and then though - and no doubt happens to others; is that without the slightest intention of doing so I suddenly find I have upset somebody or they have taken what I said totally the wrong way. This has happened with a few people. I have made an effort to set straight/ correct and apologise etc. BUt only once has anybody responded. There is only one person here that I "fight" with. I make no apologies for that. We all have our limits. ..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-04-2021, 07:56 AM

Its logical to save a bit of vigor for an emergency.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 08:51 AM

Imo it’s all subjective

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top