Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 02:38 PM

Is There a Breakdown of Respect?

Yesterday, my teacher friend was standing in front of her classroom when a student in the hall, age seven, told she was fat.

We had two police-related situations in which the person being pulled over refused to follow the instructions of the police officers (one was accidentally killed).

Last week, I read about two middle-aged store owner and a young man who got into a fist fight because the young man refused to wear a mask (he threw the first punch).

This week, I was on the highway and saw several incidents in which a trick signaled to pass, and a car in the other lane sped up to block the truck.

Is respect for others and the law waning or disappearing?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 03:00 PM

Re: Is There a Breakdown of Respect?

Hi

Definitely getting worse, but that is down to parental control and example and a reluctance by the justice system here in the UK to punish offenders who disrespect or attack the Police and emergency services.

It is the I Know my Rights Brigade.

Sod that for a game of marbles.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Definitely getting worse, but that is down to parental control and example and a reluctance by the justice system here in the UK to punish offenders who disrespect or attack the Police and emergency services.

It is the I Know my Rights Brigade.

Sod that for a game of marbles.
Winner, winner, chicken (tofu) dinner!

I suspect it's not being taught and modeled like it once was. Lack of respect was right up their with lying on the "thou shalt not" list when I was a kid.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 03:24 PM

Oh SM, sadly respect is going out the window, especially for the police. The repercussions of bad behaviour is far too soft nowadays.

I regularly watch police programmes on TV and the abuse they get it disgusting and I honestly don't understand why anyone would join the police force anymore. Its a very thankless job.

As for each other, bad manners and rudeness is definitely on the increase too and I often have witnessed horrible things in my area. Its a bit of a rough area these days and getting worse. I regularly hear women in the playground cursing and swearing in front of their children so what hope is there for the kids.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Oh SM, sadly respect is going out the window, especially for the police. The repercussions of bad behaviour is far too soft nowadays.

I regularly watch police programmes on TV and the abuse they get it disgusting and I honestly don't understand why anyone would join the police force any more. Its a very thankless job.

As for each other, bad manners and rudeness is definitely on the increase too and I often have witnessed horrible things in my area. Its a bit of a rough area these days and getting worse. I regularly hear women in the playground cursing and swearing in front of their children so what hope is there for the kids.
Snap. Before the lockdowns started I made it almost a mission to go up to any police officer I saw and shake his/her hand and thank them for trying their best to keep us safe.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 04:16 PM

People these days "demand" respect without knowing what it means to earn it
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

14-04-2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Snap. Before the lockdowns started I made it almost a mission to go up to any police officer I saw and shake his/her hand and thank them for trying their best to keep us safe.
Excellent.

When my kids were little and we encountered a police officer, I always made an effort to introduced each other. I wanted my kids to understand that the police weren't to be feared but respected, and that they were the good guys working hard to keep everyone safe.

My son was a lot more interested in their badges.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

14-04-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
People these days "demand" respect without knowing what it means to earn it
True, but some respect is intrinsic until proven otherwise - elders, strangers, the flag, children, the law, authority... Violate the trust that goes with that respect and it is difficult to get back.

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

I regularly watch police programmes on TV and the abuse they get it disgusting and I honestly don't understand why anyone would join the police force anymore. Its a very thankless job.

Children need to be respected, too LQ. I think that is often overlooked - language, TV programming, exposure to sex and violence at too early an age, their abilities to do for themselves, their ability to handle stress, etc. are perhaps not given the consideration the should be.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
True, but some respect is intrinsic until proven otherwise - elders, strangers, the flag, children, the law, authority... Violate the trust that goes with that respect and it is difficult to get back.

Children need to be respected, too LQ. I think that is often overlooked - language, TV programming, exposure to sex and violence at too early an age, their abilities to do for themselves, their ability to handle stress, etc. are perhaps not given the consideration the should be.
They're given far too bloody much consideration. They're not "little people".

They're brutal selfish little monsters that are being allowed to do pretty much what they want - and that continues as they get older.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
They're given far too bloody much consideration. They're not "little people".

They're brutal selfish little monsters that are being allowed to do pretty much what they want - and that continues as they get older.
How can you have an opinion on children that you have never met?

I don't doubt that some children may fit your description, but there are plenty that don't!
I believe that Surfermom was questioning the breakdown in respect of everybody, not just children, and there are plenty of adults who frequently show little respect?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top