Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 09:20 AM

Re: Prince Harry's army career.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
When you leave duty in the US, you really aren't supposed to wear you uniform after leaving military service, even if you retired. My OH fought in two wars and had a distinguished military career, but wearing his uniform to any event is against protocol.

George Washington famously wore a brown suit at his first inauguration as president to symbolize his transition from being a military general to being an civilian and a civil public servant.

I think that is a very good policy.

Harry is just another citizen as far as I understand it, but regardless of tradition, as usual, the Queen (though possibly under advisement) handled this very, very well.

I agree with that, Surfer.
Police don't go raking out their old uniforms after leaving, not do surgeons, vets, fire fighters - or anyone else I can think of.

Another tradition I find strange is for donkeys years after someone has retired or left, they still use their titles - like Captain, Wing Commander, Colonel, Major etc. Why do they do this?
To me, the title went with the job. It's what they earned long ago.

You don't get nurses, security officers, or cops calling themselves chief constable for the rest of their lives.

And while I'm on the subject, does anyone know what men have to qualify at to even become a 'Sir'?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 09:25 AM

Hi Mups, commissioned officers are called "sir" in the forces, and I believe it can be a choice to retain your commissioned rank as a title
in civilian life (captain or above) should you choose.
Regarding uniforms, after de-mob they are only used for ceremonial duties should the occasion require, and not as a matter of course.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
You all have got it wrong!
Meghan is calling the shots here!
They’re all wearing suits!
Get it? Suits - the American series she acted in
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 03:02 PM

I'd suggest that Harry failed to honour his promise:
'I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II'.

How can you tell lies about her and be faithful and bear true allegiance?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Hi Mups, commissioned officers are called "sir" in the forces, and I believe it can be a choice to retain your commissioned rank as a title
in civilian life (captain or above) should you choose.
Regarding uniforms, after de-mob they are only used for ceremonial duties should the occasion require, and not as a matter of course.

Thanks Barry.

What about Doctors. Do they call themselves 'Doctor' even when they are no longer practicing?
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Put simply because he's an r-sole. He should not even have been let back into the country.

He's not the only r-sole.

Opinions are good bad and indifferent here. Mine counts as much as yours.
Harry has every right to attend his grandfather's funeral.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2021, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Barry.

What about Doctors. Do they call themselves 'Doctor' even when they are no longer practicing?
If you have a doctorate you are a doctor until you die.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->

I agree with you Right Now & so did his Grandmother, so any other opinion than hers doesn't matter.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-04-2021, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
If you have a doctorate you are a doctor until you die.

Thanks Bruce.
I find it really strange how some professions can hang on to their working titles and others can't.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-04-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->

I agree RN, of course he should have been invited. Then he had a choice whether to accept or not. Being childish and not inviting him would have made a bad situation so much worse. It would have been paradise for the anti-royals for a start.

No matter what he said to Ophrah, it doesn't change the Duke was still his Grandpa.

I think this is all pretty shabby anyway. Todays papers are page after page of scrutinizing Harry, with photographs taken from all angles trying to pick apart his behaviour.

I say give it a rest. Yesterday shouldn't have been about Harry, it wasn't HIS day.
Don't reporters think the Queen had enough to contend with without everyone practically dissecting her close family at a funeral!

Not one single person knows the true story and facts of who said what to cause the this family rift, we only saw the Oprah interview, and Meghan had most to say even then. After all, how many of us have family rifts too?

Me and my brother haven't spoken since my Mum died in 2014, but there is good reason for that and it's not for others to judge without knowing the first thing about it.

Are Royals not allowed a family fall out too?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top