Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 04:17 PM

Where were you

Married?

Church or Registry Office?

Did you have a lot of people attending?

Did you go anywhere nice for your honeymoon?

Also did you encounter any disasters on your honeymoon or wedding day?
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 04:36 PM

Re: Where were you

We were married in a church in my home island in 1969, when I was 19 and my husband 22.

I don't remember how many people attended, a few hundred I believe. Most of them I didn't know, my parents organised it, they were people of their acquaintance. My father was a senior politician the equivalent of a cabinet minister.

We had our honeymoon in Snowdonia, we climbed the mountain. I found it fascinating having never seen a mountain before.

There were no disasters.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 05:06 PM

We were married in the Registry Office as we couldn't afford a Church wedding, we had about 14 guests, after the wedding we took them all to a Turkish Restaurant with Entertainment and 3 course meal and plate smashing, the next day we had our honeymoon in Watergate bay, Newquay, Cornwall.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 05:23 PM

We were married in Registry Office mainly because I hate being the centre of attention and didn’t want a lot of fuss.

We had 15 guests and had a small reception in a castle.

Our honeymoon was 2 weeks in Jersey, the first time I had been on a plane. Beautiful weather even in January.

Everything was perfect, no disasters thank goodness.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 06:16 PM

We were married at the registry office, ( just celebrated 36 years on the 27th), it was freezing but sunny it snowed a bit later on but luckily we were enjoying the reception, we paid for everything ,
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 07:11 PM

Late OH & I were married in a registry office because my Dad said we could either have a fairly posh wedding or a cheaper one & he would give the money saved to us for the deposit on our first house. We had the reception, a buffet lunch, in a local pub near the registry office & about 40 people came.

We went off on our honeymoon after to Cornwall, staying the second night in the pub in a village where my Parents were having a house built, because we wanted to see what it was like.
The landlady thought we were on an illicit weekend, even though we told her we were on our honeymoon, she didn't believe us & gave us a room with twin beds in it & was thoroughly disapproving all the time we were there that first day. We had to laugh about it. 'Tell her who we are', OH said, 'No', said I, 'this is hilarious'.

That evening in the bar we got talking to another couple & were telling them about my Parents buying a house there, the landlady overheard & after that couldn't do enough for us, never took to her after that.

I thought she was a cow & never changed my mind about her & we saw her quite a lot too, as it was my Parents local pub & the food was very good.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 07:20 PM

We married in a Catholic church. Dad said I could have 50 guests, most of them were family so didn't have much room for friends. My best friend at the time was there, she was one of my bridesmaids.
I was very nervous and I was overwhelmed with how special I was made to feel that day, I remember crying when I got in the wedding car, it was a nice cry though I was very happy indeed.

We had the reception at a small restaurant and I remember one of my Grandmas getting drunk, it was hilarious.

The only disaster was someone dropped beetroot on the floor and my train on my dress got betroot juice on it, I was upset but didn't let it spoil myday.

Our honeymoon was in my husbands Aunties boarding house in Cleethorpes.

Wonderful memories, enjoyed typing this.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 07:31 PM

So nice reading all of these replies, what lovely memories of your wedding, ladies .😀
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

29-04-2021, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Late OH & I were married in a registry office because my Dad said we could either have a fairly posh wedding or a cheaper one & he would give the money saved to us for the deposit on our first house. We had the reception, a buffet lunch, in a local pub near the registry office & about 40 people came.

We went off on our honeymoon after to Cornwall, staying the second night in the pub in a village where my Parents were having a house built, because we wanted to see what it was like.
The landlady thought we were on an illicit weekend, even though we told her we were on our honeymoon, she didn't believe us & gave us a room with twin beds in it & was thoroughly disapproving all the time we were there that first day. We had to laugh about it. 'Tell her who we are', OH said, 'No', said I, 'this is hilarious'.

That evening in the bar we got talking to another couple & were telling them about my Parents buying a house there, the landlady overheard & after that couldn't do enough for us, never took to her after that.

I thought she was a cow & never changed my mind about her & we saw her quite a lot too, as it was my Parents local pub & the food was very good.

Twin beds....what a cheek!! 😮😮😮

I hope you pulled them together,😂🤣
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 07:51 PM

Where do I start? Guess before the wedding which relates to the honeymoon.
Sue worked in an office in London and the shop below was a travel agents. Now the manager often asked Sue to type confidential letters for him regarding the agency business.
When he found out she was getting married he asked if she had any plans for the honeymoon. Well we had saved everything for the house and wedding, so no honeymoon, or so we thought.
Wow what a shock when he said "how about a fortnight in a 5 star hotel in Tunisia ". Obviouly well out of anything we could even dream of. Then the bombshell " so you could not afford £25 then for the whole holiday, flight and hotel included for both of us " I will leave it up to you about how we felt.

So the wedding was in a church with 78 guests at a sit down hot dinner, it was in March and the snow was coming down so they all appreciated something hot to eat, No champaigne but a very good sparkling white wine and no one knew the difference.
The first night was back at my parents as the house we bought was still being fixed up by my cousin in law.
So afterwards off on the absolutely amazing honeymoon.

Got to the airport in Tunisia and little boys ran to the plane and tried to grab Sue while offerning me a tray of toy camels. The customs sheds were just that, tin huts as Tunisia had only just opened up to tourism

The hotel what can i say? it was right on the beach with its on private beach and the drive approach had orange and lemon trees either side.
We had our own bungelow as well away from the main building. On the way the coach driver kept stopping and lifting out rolls of carpets to the local shops.

Now for the funny bit, not what you are thinking. It was so hot like a summers day yet they had the underfloor heating on, to them it was cold. we had seperate beds across the room and to get from one to the other we had to wear slippers. Horizonal jogging in that heat??? think greasy pigs

Next morning or so there had been a storm at sea and the seawater had divided the sand in the public beach area into seperate sand hills. Made us laugh as the beduins were on one and their camels on the other and they could not get to them.

We visit the local town and in the middle of the Souk in the square women were literally climbimg over what looked loke rags or old clothes or something. The lanes to it absolutely stank with urine running down the gutters.

Can I strongly recommend if you ever go don't order a bottle of local wine, we did and it tasted like something a camel would produce, so we left it for the rest of the stay.

So did we have a good honeymoon? I still remember it like it was yesterday now nearly 50 years later on

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top