Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 07:57 PM

Re: Where were you

I had the stag do at my house a week before the wedding. I wanted to make sure nothing distracted me from the most important day of my life.

We got married in our local church a year to the day after I proposed. I didn't mind where we got wed, but my Lovely Cousin wanted a white wedding, to which she was fully entitled, so that's what we had. Our wedding car was an old car owned by her driving instructor.

She was nineteen and I was twenty-nine, and there were about twenty five to thirty guests at the church with perhaps a few more at the reception that was held in the social club of the place where my Uncle/FiL worked.

We got permission to hide our car inside the manufactory gates so it wouldn't get "vandalised". It didn't stop my Aunty/MiL from stuffing confetti down our necks.

I had bought a small caravan for our honeymoon, which was all I could afford at the time, so after the reception we drove back to my place to pick it up then head off to a small campsite in an orchard just outside Hereford where we spent our first ever night together.

We stopped at a motorway services on the way to use the loos. My Lovely was much longer than I expected, so long that I started to worry that there was something wrong and I was about to ask another lady if she would go in to check on my wife.
At that point she came out. Having removed some of her going away outfit, a load of confetti dropped out of her nether coverings, all over the floor, and she spent a good ten minutes trying to pick it up.

After one night in the orchard we spent a week on a campsite in North Wales in a field next to a Residential Rest Home for the Care of the Elderly. Considering our age difference, my teenage bride thought my choice of campsite was rather appropriate. We then had another week in the Lake District before spending a night near York so we could visit my brother and his family.

I had worked out that Hook Norton in the Cotswolds was halfway between York and home, so we spent one night there on a camp site to break our journey ... in brewery lane. My Lovely Cousin had no idea why I chose that campsite.
That evening I had an assignation with some *Old Hookey.
We got chatting to the landlady of the pub nearest to the brewery and told her it was the last night of our honeymoon. For the rest of the evening, locals would sidle round the end of the bar to check us out, mumble something about, "Yer, unnymewnerz" then wander off again.

We shared the campsite with a squadron of sheep, several of whom must have been given the same message by the landlady because they came to poke their heads into our open caravan door.

That was over thirty seven years ago, but all I can say is that it feels like we are still on honeymoon.

*Old Hookey is a most excellent strong beer made by the most excellent Hook Norton brewery.*
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 08:07 PM

Ours was an evening candlelight church wedding with just 50 or so guests of just very close family and friends. I wanted it to be an intimate affair, so I could enjoy the evening with the people I cared about most.

It was lovely.

Young and practical, we had decided against a honeymoon, but my in-laws surprised us with a honeymoon in the Cayman Islands, which was not well know or developed at the time. Ours was a pretty little beachfront bungalow with hammocks, fragrant tropical flowers, extraordinarily aquamarine water, few people, and long romantic days and nights.

You all know me well enough to know that of course there was a disaster !

The day before the wedding, I slipped into town to buy a pair of heels to wear with the dress I had planned to wear as we left reception. In my exuberant distraction, I didn't realize I was changing that the clerk had sold me....

two right shoes.

There was nothing to do but laugh it off, and my sister saved the day by offering me a pair of her shoes. They were one size too big - but at least not pointing the same direction!

Now you know why clerks check to make shoes match; my story has been since been told that far and wide.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 08:28 PM

There are some lovely stories here.

Surfermom, I've heard of people say they have two left feet, so I think you must be unique.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 09:41 PM

A Devil's Wedding (according to a Catholic mate) at the local registry office as both the missus and I are non-believers. Reception at a Maggie McFly pub, and disco-do at night at the same McFly's but upstairs in a large function room. Booze and buffet laid on but the missus and I missed it because we were on our way to the airport for our honeymoon flight to Ibiza. A rattling good do too, so I'm told.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Twin beds....what a cheek!! 😮😮😮

I hope you pulled them together,😂🤣
She offered to make them up as a double after she found out who we were. I never liked her.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 12:47 AM

Annie and I were married in a civil ceremony at Long Reef golf Club at Collaroy on Sydney's Northern Beaches. It was dusk and a beautiful Autumn evening in May. We had 60 guests and Annie's dad's band played cool jazz all night. It could not have been a better day..and night for everybody. Pure magic
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 08:06 AM

Thanks for sharing your wedding stories everyone, I read every single one, such lovely memories, and a few funny stories, yet everything worked out well in the end.😀
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 08:27 AM

Hi

Which one are you talking about?

The last one here

https://www.google.com/search?q=shre...o8zrca2UiKRsjM

Then a walk through town
https://www.google.com/search?q=shre...n-GBGB942GB944

The reception at Drapers Hall

https://www.google.com/search?q=shre...n-GBGB942GB944

There are musket balls in the inside timber from the Cromwell Civil War.

It is just by the Traitors Gate

https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...bEav1xjhdZ6v7M

Sadly did not last, she lost it when her daughter was killed in a car accident.

Not my choice, hers, but such is life.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 03:40 PM

Me and my fella married at Portsmouth Registry Office.

He had just bought our first home I contributed £500 for the deposit , I considered that my inheritance :lol No money for a honeymoon.
We had a reception of champagne & cake for 25
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
Me and my fella married at Portsmouth Registry Office.

He had just bought our first home I contributed £500 for the deposit , I considered that my inheritance :lol No money for a honeymoon.
We had a reception of champagne & cake for 25
Hi

Champagne?

I always knew you were posh.

You and Mr Rip had a good life, easy to tell from your posts.

Onwards and upwards Rip.

He would like that, he would not like you to be miserable for the rest of your life.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top