Join for free
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Memories of Captain Sir Tom Moore

Remembering Captain Sir Tom on what would have been his 101st birthday

"Captain Sir Tom Moore would have been 101 years old on 30th April. To celebrate his remarkable achievements friends and family have been remembering his life.

He lived in the Bedfordshire village of Marston Moretaine for more than a decade before he became world famous when he decided to raise money for the NHS by walking around his garden."

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2021...101st-birthday

For any new Over50's members there is more to be found about Captain Sir Tom Moore, his amazing fund-raising achievements and his passing on the OFF links below:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...he+NHS+Sir+Tom

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...s+%A3+millions
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 04:12 PM

Re: Memories of Captain Sir Tom Moore

Well, rather disappointing that there were 57 views of this thread and not one reply. Not what I expected and rather different to the other two threads, the links to which were provided, they attracted 22 and 55 replies respectively so no complaints there.

However, I continue on here as there is more good news from what Captain Sir Tom Moore started with his epic fund-raising, see below:

"Children inspired by Captain Sir Tom Moore raise thousands of pounds for charity as part of 100 challenge"

"From taking 100 steps unaided to conquering a climbing wall 100 times, two children have raised thousands of pounds for charity and all in memory of Captain Sir Tom Moore.

The pair are amongst thousands of people taking part in charity challenges this weekend, themed around the number 100 and all to mark what would have been his 101st birthday."

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-05-01/...-100-challenge
Baz46

06-07-2021, 09:45 AM

Well, rather disappointing that there have now been 120 views of this thread and yet not one reply. Not what I expected and rather different to the other two threads, the links to which were provided, they attracted 22 and 55 replies respectively so no complaints there.

However, 'am I bovvered'? No I am not so continue on here, adding to this thread with possibly the final news about Captain Sir Tom Moore and what he started with his epic fund-raising, see below:

Captain Sir Tom laid to rest in hometown of Keighley

Captain Sir Tom Moore's ashes have been buried alongside his parents and grandparents in his family grave in Yorkshire.

Representatives of the NHS, Royal British Legion, Scouts, Guides and other groups lined the path at Morton Cemetery in Riddlesden, Keighley.

As Sir Tom requested, his headstone bears the words "I told you I was old".

The World War Two veteran raised more than £32m for the NHS by walking round his garden during lockdown."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-57725373
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 09:49 AM

Look forward to reading his achievements,Baz.

He does sound pretty remarkable, a selfless man who did a lot for others.

Thank you for the reminder...😀
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 10:02 AM

Back in the place he always thought as home.

Thanks for posting.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 10:08 AM

General chat threads can be missed sometimes when the section is busy.
Baz46

06-07-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Look forward to reading his achievements,Baz.

He does sound pretty remarkable, a selfless man who did a lot for others.

Thank you for the reminder...😀
Thanks Pauline for acknowledging both this thread and my latest post. Possibly this post answers a question posed one of your earlier threads this morning?

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Back in the place he always thought as home.

Thanks for posting.
Yes, back 'home'. He was quite a character even at his age, one of the comments he made (shown in the news item I posted) is an example of this: "As Sir Tom requested, his headstone bears the words "I told you I was old". His family must be so very proud of him and his achievements and I believe, rightly so.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 10:18 AM

Baz yes he did good BUT if the media had not got hold of the story and hyped it up he would hardly have been noticed. There are thousand of people doing good work and never get a mention.
Baz46

06-07-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Baz yes he did good BUT if the media had not got hold of the story and hyped it up he would hardly have been noticed. There are thousand of people doing good work and never get a mention.
Yes, I quite agree with you. It's like the Queen's Birthday Honours every year, very seldom it seems and perhaps more so in the past, is a completely unknown person's good work acknowledged. However, they are there, day in and day out working extremely hard and often without adequate or any reward at all.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top