Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 07:23 AM

Runner beans

I planted a whole load of runner beans in pots over two weeks ago . However due I supose to the awful weather they have declined to grow not a sign of any of them .
Should I replant ?
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

25-05-2021, 07:43 AM

Re: Runner beans

How long do they normally take to come up? Everything over here is late due to cold weather so you may have the same problem.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 07:50 AM

Yes you should see signs of them before two weeks, Muddy. Assuming they are inside, I would try again but put something over them, like a plastic milk jug with the end cut off, or even a plastic bag if you have any. It doesn't look great but you are trying to create a warmer atmosphere. I have a mini greenhouse in the back room which I can zip the cover over, and my beans sprouted fairly quickly. Hope this helps.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:06 AM

Thanks Pixie shall dig one up today and see what progress if any has been made
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:52 AM

I started mine off in pots in the greenhouse and they germinated well, but after planting them out a couple of weeks ago they have made little progress with the awful weather, although fingers crossed they will catch up later...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 09:21 AM

Hi Muddy I planted a first lot in my mini greenhouse and nothing much happened, one bean I think the soil was too cold.

I planted another lot in pots and put them in the warm spare bedroom as I usually do and they were up in 10 days.
I planted them out about and they are about a foot high.

I would replant as an insurance in case the others don't come up.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 10:10 AM

Sue move our from the greenhouse to here a couple of weeks ago
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 10:18 AM

Don't you harden them off first, RS?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Don't you harden them off first, RS?
I don't but Sue does b y putting them outside during the day and back in the greenhouse overnight. Me if I go anywhere near the greenhouse
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-05-2021, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I don't but Sue does b y putting them outside during the day and back in the greenhouse overnight. Me if I go anywhere near the greenhouse
Haha! poor you, still...it would be nice and warm I suppose. I did read somewhere that Polytunnels could be used for overnight camping....

(apologies Muddy - thread derailment)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top