Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Re: Roberts Rambles 7

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I, too, went in a rowing boat in Sandall Park when I was a kid, Foxy. That was a long time ago, and I can't remember if I used the toilet.
Small world Harbal, we could have passed by on the lake....
I'm glad you didn't use the toilet, I would never go in there for a sit down one....Uh!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Nice pics as well, good to see everyday events, long may the Doncastrian keep Roving.
Thanks Spitty, been some things and seen some places!...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-05-2021, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

I didn't recognise any of the town. It's probably thirty years since I was there. I could though still take you to the spot where my Lovely Cousin first took my hand whilst the two sides of our family were walking towards the market. She was only twelve, the little minx.

The racecourse I do remember, of course, and Leger Way. I cycled past the one and along the latter to get to and from Danum Grammar as it was then.

There is a road that runs from behind the stands up to the woods. You used to be able to drive around them but now the road ends in a small car park. The road is private and was a favourite spot for driving instructors to start pupils off before taking them out onto public roads.

The woods was our cross country course. I hated it, especially the stinky black glutinous mud if you miss-judged jumping the drainage ditches.

I took my Lovely Cousin and our kids there when they were young, and showed them the spot on the school playing field where I got my nose broken during a rugby match.

I remember the rowing lake. My Uncle/FiL took my brother and me plus our oldest (blood related) cousin out on the water.

Happy days.

I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Thanks for showing the piccies.
Thanks Fruitcake, I don't remember some of the places and it's only been a year or two since I was there...Doncaster is a mess these days, and on my walk yesterday I was saddened to see a normally vibrant area of the town now with shops abandoned and being demolished.
This cut through to the library (which incidentally was also empty and abandoned) was not that old, and is now earmarked to be demolished....There were some nice cafe's down here, and one of my favourite electronics shops. 'Tandy' and then later 'Maplins' both of which are long gone in favour of online shopping....

Turning the corner at the end I reminisced about all the good times I spent swimming with friends in Greyfriars Swimming Pool, now unable to sell and will be demolished shortly....

I was a thicko Fruity, and had to go to the Secondary Modern School in the village where I lived...
I hated our cross country's and took notes from my Mam to be excused, I sometimes have to smile now as I willingly train along those old routes I hated so much in my schooldays...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	15622   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	15623  
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 12:12 PM

I used to visit the old library when it was situated between the Southern bus station and the railway station.
It then moved to a new building along from Waterdale, still close to the Southern bus station. After I left home, I would occasionally do research there for college when I went back home to visit my parents until they moved away in '76.

I can't remember whether I swam in Greyfriars or not. We were transported to a swimming pool in a clapped out bus, with bars on the windows!

Once a year we were taken by corporation double-decker bus to the far side of Sheffield where we went on a hike. That was always great fun.

Again, thanks for the piccies. Please keep them coming.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 08:53 AM

We went into Doncaster centre only a few times during the times spent with our friends. The last time was a good few years ago but I remember being quite impressed by the Corn Exchange building.

peripheral
GB
peripheral is male  peripheral has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 10:03 AM

Bob, I just love these walks you upload for us to enjoy. Well done sir, keep 'em coming. We must be near neighbours, my managing director and I live in Rotherham. Are you planning on taking pics of the 'Open All Hours' shop at Balby?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-05-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by peripheral ->
Bob, I just love these walks you upload for us to enjoy. Well done sir, keep 'em coming. We must be near neighbours, my managing director and I live in Rotherham. Are you planning on taking pics of the 'Open All Hours' shop at Balby?
Thanks Peripheral your lovely comments are much appreciated...

I know roughly where the shop is Peri, I believe it's a hairdressers when not appearing in 'Open all Hours' next time I'm in Doncaster I'll seek it out...
I know Rotherham very well and have friends there....Spent a lot of time driving around Rotherham when I was taking lorry driving lessons, and then later as a courier.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top