Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 10:37 PM

Working with Gold

Well - you have to do something when you computer goes AWOL !!

Two broken 9ct gold chains and a handful of minuscule Amethyst beads have been lurking at the bottom of my 'findings' box forever. Thought it was time I did something with them - decided to combine them into one necklace. Left one plain and reused the original lobster claw fastener. The second one was somewhat finer - so carefully opened some of the links and threaded on the tiny beads and attached it to the same fastener to make a double chain. Never worked with gold before (don't look, Jem!) but am quite pleased with result.

Close up of Amethysts

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 07:33 AM

Re: Working with Gold

Forgot to say - finished necklace is 16 inches long - sits nicely on my collar bones. The original chains were both 18 inches long but - the links were so tiny and a bit fiddly - I broke a lot along the way.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 11:06 AM

Looks excellent, but surely you have a back-up 'puter?! I would not be able to survive without the internet for many things, inc my meds delivered via my nominated pharmacy. I have 2 spares just in case the 2nd fails too before I can get 1st sorted out.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 12:13 PM

Looks good Tabby, excellent thinking on your part! 👏
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 10:04 PM

You did a grand job there Silver, you’d make a fine goldsmith.
Amethyst is one of my favourite stones.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

28-05-2021, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
You did a grand job there Silver, you’d make a fine goldsmith.
Amethyst is one of my favourite stones.
Thank you, Jem, that is praise indeed. I love amethyst - it is my birthstone.

Must invest in some finer pliers before I tackle anything like that again. Just bought some special ones that open split rings. No more broken nails!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

28-05-2021, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Looks excellent, but surely you have a back-up 'puter?! I would not be able to survive without the internet for many things, inc my meds delivered via my nominated pharmacy. I have 2 spares just in case the 2nd fails too before I can get 1st sorted out.
No - just the one.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

28-05-2021, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Looks good Tabby, excellent thinking on your part! 👏
Thank you, Mags.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top