Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 02:32 PM

Roberts Rambles 10

Not being able to find my first Trig on Monday was laying heavy on my mind, so armed with some additional information I drove out to the spot this morning to have a more detailed search. The path alongside the Golf Club was well overgrown but I had gone 'Booted up' today and fought my way through nettles and brambles. During the course of the search I came across several lost Golf balls lying on the path, so I lobbed them back onto the course. I half expected a bar of Cadbury's Chocolate coming back over the fence and the words..."You don't have to throw that one back Foxy!" ....

Not fifty yards from where I stopped on Monday I found the Trig...

The Trig Point is called Hickleton Spring, number S1744

Number 3 and Job done, home for some Baked Beans on Toast....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hickleton Spring.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	15761   Click image for larger version

Name:	S1744.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	15762  
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 03:35 PM

Re: Roberts Rambles 10

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Not being able to find my first Trig on Monday was laying heavy on my mind, so armed with some additional information I drove out to the spot this morning to have a more detailed search. The path alongside the Golf Club was well overgrown but I had gone 'Booted up' today and fought my way through nettles and brambles. During the course of the search I came across several lost Golf balls lying on the path, so I lobbed them back onto the course. I half expected a bar of Cadbury's Chocolate coming back over the fence and the words..."You don't have to throw that one back Foxy!" ....

Not fifty yards from where I stopped on Monday I found the Trig...

The Trig Point is called Hickleton Spring, number S1744

Number 3 and Job done, home for some Baked Beans on Toast....
Good hunting Bob!

To make it even more exciting for you, why not sign your signature on each one you find
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Good hunting Bob!

To make it even more exciting for you, why not sign your signature on each one you find
"Rob wiz 'ere" or something along those lines?

And I swear those shorts are getting shorter
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 04:55 PM

What on earth is a "Trig"?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
All is explained in OGF's thread (link below) where he indicates his latest,
interesting challenge. We definitely live and learn here on OFF:

"A 'Trig Point' is short for 'Triangulation Pillar' and are the things that Ordnance Survey
used to map the country before GPS."

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=75331
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Good hunting Bob!

Thanks Mags, but I don't think that would be allowed unless my name was 'Banksy'....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-06-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
"Rob wiz 'ere" or something along those lines?

And I swear those shorts are getting shorter
I'm sorry if I put you off your tea Pixie.... But they are my running shorts and I'd done a run before I went, it was so hot I couldn't be bothered to change....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-06-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Do keep up realspeed.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-06-2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
All is explained in OGF's thread (link below) where he indicates his latest,
interesting challenge. We definitely live and learn here on OFF:

"A 'Trig Point' is short for 'Triangulation Pillar' and are the things that Ordnance Survey
used to map the country before GPS."

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=75331
Thanks Baz, I downloaded a complete list of Trig Points off the Ordnance Survey website. I didn't realise that the survey doesn't just use Triangulation Pillars, they use church towers, water towers, masts, obelisks, and hundreds of other prominent places. There were over 31,000 sites....

I had to limit my search to just the pillars and there are still over 6000 of them.
It would also not be practical to drive all the way to Scotland (unless I visit while on holiday) so I have excluded those also (sorry Pixie..) .. Some pillars have been dismantled or destroyed, but there are still enough to keep me busy for a while....

Also, something interesting I read, apparently there are lots of buried blocks of stone. When Ordnance Survey buried them they placed a sheet of metal over the top so hunters can still find them using metal detectors..

Using my local map of Yorkshire I've now traced another six pillars for future excursions. One of which is located where I delivered the post.. Well I never...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 09:05 PM

All very interesting OGF, who would have thought anyone could make a 'hobby' out of something so obscure? In addition to that you may have found a way of indulging more in your new-found interest by using that metal detector you made recently!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top