Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 03:28 PM

Re: My first Strawberries!

What variety are they, Mags?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
What variety are they, Mags?
You get varieties??
Percy Vere
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
You get varieties??
Yeah. There must be at least 10 different varieties available in the supermarkets. There are probably many more grown by smaller and non-commercial growers.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 03:34 PM

Yeah. There must be at least 10 different varieties available in the supermarkets. There are probably many more grown by smaller and non-commercial growers.
Well I never knew that. I always thought strawbs, were strawbs. Having looked it up though, I also discovered that you get different varieties of tomato as well. Who knew!
Percy Vere

13-06-2021, 03:50 PM

Well I never knew that. I always thought strawbs, were strawbs. Having looked it up though, I also discovered that you get different varieties of tomato as well. Who knew!
If you see any yellow toms, buy some. They are the sweetest and tastiest and beat red toms hands down in my opinion.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 03:52 PM

Yes, there are many varieties of strawberry but I reckon any of the British grown strawberries are far better in taste than those from abroad and in the supermarkets when our's are out of season or are still growing. If you can get past the first photograph on this website (delicious) other varieties are shown:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-t...rries-to-grow/

Tomatoes are just the same, plenty of varieties but again as with strawberries, I believe none of those in the supermarkets are as good in taste as our own home-grown ones:

https://www.finedininglovers.com/art...ypes-varieties
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

13-06-2021, 03:59 PM

If you see any yellow toms, buy some. They are the sweetest and tastiest and beat red toms hands down in my opinion.
Ok, thanks Percy, I will do. I'm glad you said that, because I would walk by the yellow ones in favour of the more familiar red ones.

Not that I have had a sheltered life or anything...well maybe in veggie world I have
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

13-06-2021, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes, there are many varieties of strawberry but I reckon any of the British grown strawberries are far better in taste than those from abroad and in the supermarkets when our's are out of season or are still growing. If you can get past the first photograph on this website (delicious) other varieties are shown:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-t...rries-to-grow/

Tomatoes are just the same, plenty of varieties but again as with strawberries, I believe none of those in the supermarkets are as good in taste as our own home-grown ones:

https://www.finedininglovers.com/art...ypes-varieties
Interesting reading there, Baz, thank you! I was shocked to see the size of those beef tomatoes though - they were like a bloomin' pumpkin!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 04:02 PM

I think there are getting on for 50 varieties Pixie. It depends if you want Early, Mid Season, or Late fruiting ones.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Interesting reading there, Baz, thank you! I was shocked to see the size of those beef tomatoes though - they were like a bloomin' pumpkin!!
Just imagine the cheese and tomato sandwiches made using those with a nice, strong, mature Cheddar cheese!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top