Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 04:07 PM

Re: My first Strawberries!

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think there are getting on for 50 varieties Pixie. It depends if you want Early, Mid Season, or Late fruiting ones.
If I can find some space in the allotment beds, I'm having a go for next year I used to go strawberry picking when I was a kid...50p a punnet I got, heh, I thought I was rich
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Interesting reading there, Baz, thank you! I was shocked to see the size of those beef tomatoes though - they were like a bloomin' pumpkin!!
And, probably, just as tasteless.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Just imagine the cheese and tomato sandwiches made using those with a nice, strong, mature Cheddar cheese!
Ohhh don't, you are making me want that so much now, haha! A pinch of salt, tiny bit of branston pickle...delicious!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 06:40 PM

Yum,yum,can I have some, they look lovely,Mags.

I bet you’ve scoffed the lot by now! 😮😮
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 07:02 PM

Oh how lovely! Ours a quite a bit behind as we didn't plant them till the beginning of May. They're coming on though, and I hope they'll be as lovely as yours look!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone, they were delicious!

I've tried different strawberries in the shops but they all seem to taste the same and I could never find a shop that sold my favourite, Cheddar strawberries.

I looked at Thompson & Morgan site and the different strawberry plants and recognised the name of the ones Meg grows ..... Mara de Bois! That was good enough for me, if Meg likes them, they must be good!

I planted them (dry root) in troughs towards the end of March.

Photos of your strawberries would be welcome here folks!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

13-06-2021, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
And, probably, just as tasteless.
Whoa Percy! Don't you love pumpkin? I think it tastes wonderful
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks everyone, they were delicious!

I've tried different strawberries in the shops but they all seem to taste the same and I could never find a shop that sold my favourite, Cheddar strawberries.

I looked at Thompson & Morgan site and the different strawberry plants and recognised the name of the ones Meg grows ..... Mara de Bois! That was good enough for me, if Meg likes them, they must be good!

I planted them (dry root) in troughs towards the end of March.

Photos of your strawberries would be welcome here folks!
It is so nice to taste proper strawberries, not ones that have been frozen and shipped in. Well done Mags.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 08:33 PM

Thanks LD
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ohhh don't, you are making me want that so much now, haha! A pinch of salt, tiny bit of branston pickle...delicious!
Only one round for me, I am on a diet after too long on lockdown. Oh and don't forget the coffee, strong with milk and just half a teaspoon of sugar. Thanks!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top