Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 09:19 PM

Re: Thai Coconut milk

Other supermarkets are withdrawing it as well :-

https://www.peta.org.uk/blog/supervalu-coconut-milk/

At the moment it seems to be just the Thailand brands - but PETA are investigating others.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 09:47 PM

Says in the paper:

"Sainsbury's, Tesco, and Asda have all removed the products from their shelves. Morrisons has suspended the sale of CHAOKOH coconut milk pending an investigation.

"Despite major retailers breaking ties with Chaokoh, the brand continues to exploit monkeys. Urge the company to switch to ethical harvesting."
Chaokoh has been contacted for comment.

I imagine the reason they use the monkeys is they can make them do hard labout for no wages, so more profit!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 09:54 PM

It beggars belief that these companies are contacted for comment. As if they will ever tell the truth for goodness sake! The place needs shut down and the monkeys released back into the wild, or into a sanctuary if they can't be rehabilitated.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
It beggars belief that these companies are contacted for comment. As if they will ever tell the truth for goodness sake! The place needs shut down and the monkeys released back into the wild, or into a sanctuary if they can't be rehabilitated.

There isn't much they could say in their defence, either.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hello Bratti, no I certainly don't go looking for horrid articles!
It happened to be in my newspaper a few days ago, although not with the link.

I abhor cruelty Bratti, and I understand if you don't want to see the link. Other posters put links up which I don't want to look at too, so I can imagine how you feel.

Part of me though, thinks the more people who close their eyes to it, the longer it will go on.
This is why I am saying don't buy the milk.

Sorry if I have upset you.

I am quite happy for the Mods to remove the thread if they think it necessary.
No I don’t expect you to change anything except for people’s awareness which is what you are doing. I guess I’m just surprised and I do drink coconut milk but don’t think I could ever touch it again knowing how it is getting done. Why are humans so sickeningly cruel? And we wonder why others in our galaxy don’t visit us. Why would they want to? We are such cruel *******!!! I abhor cruelty also. It’s sickening how cruel and unfair we are as a species.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Says in the paper:

"Sainsbury's, Tesco, and Asda have all removed the products from their shelves. Morrisons has suspended the sale of CHAOKOH coconut milk pending an investigation.

"Despite major retailers breaking ties with Chaokoh, the brand continues to exploit monkeys. Urge the company to switch to ethical harvesting."
Chaokoh has been contacted for comment.

I imagine the reason they use the monkeys is they can make them do hard labout for no wages, so more profit!
They should be charged with animal cruelty. How can these people even get away with this? It’s truly pathetic! If we have decent people in our world, how does this happen? I never want to use coconut milk again!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 08:32 AM

I cook a lot of curry’s, using coconut milk also coconut cream, I can’t see restaurants not using these ingredients, especially Indian restaurants, where a lot of their meals are curry’s, plus all supermarkets sell curry, with coconut milk, as an ingredient.....don’t see that changing, there is a lot of cruelty that goes on in this world with animals.

That is just another story added to the endless list....is it cruel to eat meat?...do we know if the animals we eat, were killed humanely, of course we don’t.

As far as I have read, blue dragon coconut milk, does not use monkey labour in its production of this product, Tesco also have confirmed this, that’s where I get my milk from and will continue to do so.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 08:38 AM

It seems to be all about the Chaokoh brand, with shops and supermarkets coming on board to ban its products (Morrisons say 'pending an investigation'. An investigation? What the heck do they think they're going to find out that PETA haven't already uncovered?).

So even if all this campaigning results in stopping Chaokoh exploiting monkeys, what about other brands? Surely they're doing exactly the same thing? Because if, as it seems, it's too labour intensive or too dangerous and therefore too expensive to send humans up the trees to harvest the coconuts, then they will always turn to the free labour of animals.

I can't help thinking now that all coconut products on our supermarket shelves - desiccated, shredded, milk (cartons and tins), packs of creamed cocounut, not to mention all the processed products containing cocounut - have involved the exploitation and abuse of monkeys in their production.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

14-06-2021, 08:40 AM

Companies that DO NOT support monkey labour for coconut milk.

https://www.petaasia.com/action/coco...-monkey-labor/

Please note of all the companies who stopped purchasing this type of coconut milk due to its horrendous animal cruelty.
Due to Peta investigation, over 30,000 stores are no longer supplying this brand of coconut milk

Please sign this petition to help stop this horrific treatment of innocent monkeys

https://secure.petaasia.com/page/63752/action/1

Your action is desperately needed
Please take time out ToDAY to support the release of this barbaric practice of monkey abuse
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2021, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
It seems to be all about the Chaokoh brand, with shops and supermarkets coming on board to ban its products (Morrisons say 'pending an investigation'. An investigation? What the heck do they think they're going to find out that PETA haven't already uncovered?).

I can't help thinking now that all coconut products on our supermarket shelves - desiccated, shredded, milk (cartons and tins), packs of creamed cocounut, not to mention all the processed products containing cocounut - have involved the exploitation and abuse of monkeys in their production.
I think Morrisons will be "investigating" how much of a loss they will take if they ban this company, frankly.

And I agree that all coconut products will exploit monkeys - after all, they are the only ones who can nip up and down trees quickly.

No more coconut things for me.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top