Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 12:28 PM

Re: Trade deals

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
And WE should walk away for exactly the same reason on our side.
A cynic would suggest that the actual Trade Deal doesn't matter much, except for the brownie points to be gained by shouting "Look at me, Chine, etc., really want to trade with our magnificent Country".

Do many of us, actually, read the Trade deal?

(Not to mention the Brexit "Deal", we've all talked about that!)

keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
A cynic would suggest that the actual Trade Deal doesn't matter much, except for the brownie points to be gained by shouting "Look at me, Chine, etc., really want to trade with our magnificent Country".

Do many of us, actually, read the Trade deal?

(Not to mention the Brexit "Deal", we've all talked about that!)

Cyncism will kill it straight away. I say again..fair deals or no deals. For once maybe there can be a genuine and honest commitment from both sides. Otherwise why even talk about it.? you enter into a deal in your own life without reading the fine print?...just read it. Both our countries are maginificent i their own ways. TIme to be optimistic guys.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Interesting sticking point on the UK/Australia FTA negotiations emerged today about the 2nd year of the backpacker visa.

Currently visa holders must work in agriculture (ie Fruit picking, harvesting etc) but the UK wants to change this because there is no such reciprocal arrangement - Australian backpackers in the UK have no restrictions on the work they can do. Australian farmers are in uproar because they fear a worker shortage if this is agreed to.
You should not have fears of hordes of pommie agri workers
descending on OZ and taking Ozzie jobs away Brucy ? Young
Pommie backpackers have absolutely NO inclination to grovel in
the dirt for a few bucks !!
We have been importing our agri workers for decades now !!
Pommie youth won't even cut the grass for grannie now days!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
As this deal is "in principle" I also think that principle should extend to ensuring all goods - food and otherwise, are transported properly. I don't know anything about exporting food products but I know that difference between shonky and above board. As I said, if the deals are mutually beneficial...with all the proper safeguards. Let it rip And as was said previously, if it doesn't work, do it differently or walk away.
Bugger mutually beneficial, unless it is of benefit to US we shouldn't bother.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 12:55 PM

It's a strong message to the EU from the UK and to China from Australia this trade deal.

Like sticking two fingers up at them.

That kind of thing.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 12:56 PM

Cyncism will kill it straight away. I say again..fair deals or no deals. For once maybe there can be a genuine and honest commitment from both sides. Otherwise why even talk about it.? you enter into a deal in your own life without reading the fine print?...just read it. Both our countries are maginificent i their own ways. TIme to be optimistic guys.
Times have changed radically. Our countries have not been "magnificent for many decades. There's a new guy on the block, China. Ignore that or fail to realise it at our peril.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We have to have an international mobile sweatshop somewhere, all things monetary have been based on this principal for decades.
Yes Spitty, it started after WW2 with Japan, then moved to
Taiwan, then to China !
Where next, after America traps them in the tariff net ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 01:20 PM

You wont regret it guys.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

15-06-2021, 01:23 PM

As this deal is "in principle" I also think that principle should extend to ensuring all goods - food and otherwise, are transported properly. I don't know anything about exporting food products but I know that difference between shonky and above board. As I said, if the deals are mutually beneficial...with all the proper safeguards. Let it rip And as was said previously, if it doesn't work, do it differently or walk away.
So, have you got all the licensed abottiors set up KZ ?
I believe you guys export your meat while it is still alive at the moment
don't you?
Still, looking on the positive side that could mean setting up an entire
new industry in meat processing couldn't it ?
Myself l had no problem with the frozen stuff we used to get from
you !l remember the blood from the meat used to make nice gravy !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤗🤗👍
keezoy
Australia

15-06-2021, 02:14 PM

Not sure about current export practises but I'm all for looking on the positive side. WE run on optimism mate We are more than happy to accommodate your needs and preferences. Anything to extricate ourselves from China's grip. They've been flogging us with their trade bullying for long enough. Time to get the old band back together innit..

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top