Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 06:56 PM

Re: Return of milk bottles !!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I thought that was why they delivered early in the mornings?
Our milkman was always finished around twelve and the floats
were insulated ?? But suppose different areas have different
problems ? But it's worth doing something to reduce this plastic
usage ??

Donkeyman! 👍🤗👍
Its swings and roundabouts.

One of my earliest traumatic memories is of breaking a milk bottle full of milk on the hall floor. I think I was three and thought I was being "helpful". I burst into floods of tears of course. Spilled milk and broken glass, what a devastating combination....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Morrisons supermarkets are planning to reintroduce glass milk
bottles to their shelves to cut down on the use of plastics !!
They also cite a lifespan of up to ten years for these bottles which
can only be good !
The downsides are likely to be the collection and washing of the
empties in this throwaway age ??
Hopefully it could mean the return of the milkman too ?

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗🤗
I have always had my milk delivered by a milkman, Donkeyman, he is very reliable. Would never buy milk in a plastic bottle!

The 'round' is owned/run by the milkman and his son. By day they are both landscape gardeners. In the evenings they go to the dairy - where the milk is kept in cold storage - load up - and deliver at night. Usually between 20:00 and 21:00. I also buy fresh orange juice and free range eggs from them.

Yes - the milk is more expensive - but it is worth it in my opinion - and, presumably, it covers the cost of delivery, collection, and re-sterilizing the bottles.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I wash out plastic milk jugs for recycling too, but would rather have glass bottles. You can do a lot with that once its cleaned up. Don't know about milkmen though....its a quaint idea from days gone by, but people were nicer back then. Nowadays his little float would get ransacked
Can you imagine nowadays leaving the milk money under an empty bottle like we used to? It wouldn't be there five minutes.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:28 PM

We have a milkman although he doesn't deliver in glass bottles. I wish they would bring back the Ben Shaws and Corona pop bottles and I could take them back and get 10p for returning one, I used to love it when Mum bought pop from the fish shop as I knew the money back would be mine lol
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Can you imagine nowadays leaving the milk money under an empty bottle like we used to? It wouldn't be there five minutes.
I used to pay the milkman - once per month - at the door. Since lockdown I leave a cheque out with the bottles.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:39 PM

My milkman never went away , it the 40 years I have lived here I have continued to have a milk delivery in bottles.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:45 PM

Oh my gosh, yes you are right, poohdog...!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:48 PM

Neither I doubt would the full bottles of milk, someone would see it as easy to steal and if deposits on the bottles were introduced some individuals today would also take the bottles back to get the deposit – free milk and some cash all for free. Some people have no scruples whatsoever!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
We have a milkman although he doesn't deliver in glass bottles. I wish they would bring back the Ben Shaws and Corona pop bottles and I could take them back and get 10p for returning one, I used to love it when Mum bought pop from the fish shop as I knew the money back would be mine lol
Having discussed with an "environmentalist" some time ago the carbon cost of sterilising and redistributing glass is higher than the carbon cost of plastic. Something to do with the amount of hot water needed to clean the glass and energy to refill etc.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 07:50 PM

For us - semi skimmed from mini-market. Glass bottles from a milkman? No way. Just wouldn't trust the bottles to be properly cleaned.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top