Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 09:10 PM

Re: Return of milk bottles !!

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ouch that's a bit much! Milk is £1 a 4 pint jug in our supermarkets. Although I do wonder how they keep it so cheap. Its like eggs....I wouldn't buy cheap eggs because they are more likely to be battery hens who have never seen the sunshine, so I do wonder how they look after the cows.

I am not positive, but I believe battery hens became illegal some time ago.
Mind you, that still doesn't mean they are necessarily free range though, they are kept loose in big barns instead - hence 'Barn eggs' on the boxes.
Organic free range would be great in an ideal world, but is labour jntensive as the hens will lay their eggs all over the place, plus organic feed is dearer..

Some poor cattle never see sunshine any more, either - or Piggy's come to that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Considering that dairy farmers only get about 20p/lt (~11.4p/pt) for their milk, someone, somewhere in the supply chain is making a bomb. I suspect it's the processors like Dairy Crest and the like.

I agree, Percy.
Farmers have been complaining bitterly about this for a long time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-06-2021, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
That only applies to 'modern' times Mups in days of yore the ladies
of the house were just that ??

Donkeyman! 👍👍

Yes, I agree donkeyman, but we were discussing bringing back milkmen again, only things have changed so much since we were kids. .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Considering that dairy farmers only get about 20p/lt (~11.4p/pt) for their milk, someone, somewhere in the supply chain is making a bomb. I suspect it's the processors like Dairy Crest and the like.
Don.t they shovel the massive farming subsidies into their barns, etc.?

Recently heard a tycoon cry that he might have to sell on much of his newly acquired farm land as the subsidies were like to fall now that we have left you-know-what.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I agree donkeyman, but we were discussing bringing back milkmen again, only things have changed so much since we were kids. .
Ain't that the truth !

D Man! 👎👎
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Recently heard a tycoon cry that he might have to sell on much of his newly acquired farm land as the subsidies were like to fall now that we have left you-know-what.
I believe the royals are going to miss a lot ??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Oldbod
United Kingdom
Oldbod is female 

18-06-2021, 12:03 PM

There's that old saying - Two things one never sees, are a dead donkey and a contented farmer.......

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oldbod ->
There's that old saying - Two things one never sees, are a dead donkey and a contented farmer.......

I heard that as a thin priest or a contented farmer.
Oldbod
United Kingdom
Oldbod is female 

18-06-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I heard that as a thin priest or a contented farmer.
Either would do....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

DEFRA is changing the way it applies the subsidies that's all. When we were in the dreaded CFP, it was all about food production. Now it's about protecting the environment so, instead of getting £X/head of sheep, etc, a farmer will be getting £X/yard of hedgerow or tree planted, etc. Therefore, your tycoon was probably shedding crocodile tears, Ted.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top