Join for free
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 07:43 AM

Our food prices might rise but …

… nothing like this though in North Korea. I wonder how much a weekly shop for a family of four would cost or just an ordinary sandwich?

"North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has formally acknowledged that his country is facing food shortages.

Addressing a meeting of senior leaders, Mr Kim said "the people's food situation is now getting tense".

He said the agricultural sector had failed to meet its grain targets due to typhoons last year, which caused flooding.

There are reports that food prices have spiked, with NK News reporting that a kilogram of bananas costs $45 (£32)."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57507456
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 07:48 AM

Re: Our food prices might rise but …

One thing is certain - he won't starve!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 08:05 AM

That is so disgusting I'm sure it was there that I read people were catching insects, and eating grass, just to survive. and he was sitting down to 3 meals a day. Lardarse.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
That is so disgusting I'm sure it was there that I read people were catching insects, and eating grass, just to survive. and he was sitting down to 3 meals a day. Lardarse.
Only three meals a day PK?
I very much doubt it was only three meals daily that produced that lardarse AND maintains it
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 08:44 AM

Your memory serves you well. I found many news items going right back to 2002, describing exactly what you have mentioned. It hardly seems possible to us in this country that this can be happening but quite obviously it is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/2055658.stm

Edited to add:
In direct contrast this puts it all in context, really appalling to read
the above news item and then to find this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56271385
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 10:02 AM

Oh this makes me so incredibly sad.....the contrast is so extreme
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 10:17 AM

Apparently there is concern about Kim's sudden weight loss ??
Mmmm!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
One thing is certain - he won't starve!
That's true

Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Your memory serves you well. I found many news items going right back to 2002, describing exactly what you have mentioned. It hardly seems possible to us in this country that this can be happening but quite obviously it is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/2055658.stm

Edited to add:
In direct contrast this puts it all in context, really appalling to read
the above news item and then to find this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56271385
I remember reading that BBC article about the starving North Koreans when it was first published, and I'm shocked that this is still happening. But not nearly as shocked as the report on global food waste. That level of wastage is almost unbearable to think of in terms of the world's starving peoples.

It is utterly sickening

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top