Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:26 PM

Re: This should prove interesting …

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If done properly - neither. There are always ways to get shot of dead wood.

Why do you call people who are perhaps afraid of having the vaccine "dead wood"?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I think that will happen too, Pixie.

They were saying on the news that if some care staff still refuse the vaccine though, they will either end up walking out, or getting the sack, which will create another problem - staff shortages.

Also will they be entitled to any pay-off if they have to leave, and if so, who coughs up - the employer, or the government?
That problem already exists in the nursing home sector, it's nothing new and was increased by Brexit, apparently:

https://www.skillsforcare.org.uk/adu...n-England.aspx

The same applies in the NHS, shortages of nursing staff has been evident for many years and is reckoned to get worse following the pandemic and staff being 'burned out' by the stressful work they have been doing:

https://www.nhsemployers.org/media-c...g-numbers-grow

https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinica...nd-28-04-2021/
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:36 PM

Why do you call people who are perhaps afraid of having the vaccine "dead wood"?
Because if covid immunisation is required as a job requirement to work in certain places and some people already employed refuse to comply with the requirements of the job then they become neither use or ornament.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
That problem already exists in the nursing home sector, it's nothing new and was increased by Brexit, apparently:

https://www.skillsforcare.org.uk/adu...n-England.aspx

The same applies in the NHS, shortages of nursing staff has been evident for many years and is reckoned to get worse following the pandemic and staff being 'burned out' by the stressful work they have been doing:

https://www.nhsemployers.org/media-c...g-numbers-grow

https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinica...nd-28-04-2021/

Yes Baz, so if there are so many shortages already, enforcing vaccination can only make it even worse.
This will put even more strain on the workers who stay, which will make even more either 'burn out' or pack in.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:37 PM

Yes Baz, so if there are so many shortages already, enforcing vaccination can only make it even worse.
This will put even more strain on the workers who stay, which will make even more either 'burn out' or pack in.
A risk worth taking.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-06-2021, 09:39 PM

Because if covid immunisation is required as a job requirement to work in certain places and some people already employed refuse to comply with the requirements of the job then they become neither use or ornament.

So see my post to Baz then.
I can easily see Care/nursing homes being forced to close down, because they will not have enough staff to keep working.

What will happen to all the old or poorly people who live in these places when their home is closed down?
I am not just talking about ' a home' here, because I foresee the problem becoming widespread.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-06-2021, 09:44 PM

A risk worth taking.

Todger, I am not sure I agree with you here.

This could be many residents of homes we are talking about, not just one or two.

How would you feel if it was your family you loved in such a place, and they were perhaps moved miles and miles away because their home had to shut through employers forcing these new rules.

I know if it had been my parents who were sent somewhere I couldn't visit easily, I would be very angry.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

18-06-2021, 09:46 PM

So see my post to Baz then.
I can easily see Care/nursing homes being forced to close down, because they will not have enough staff to keep working.

What will happen to all the old or poorly people who live in these places when their home is closed down?
I am not just talking about ' a home' here, because I foresee the problem becoming widespread.
For one thing families will HAVE to step up and take responsibility for what they have been delegating to state provision very often being paid for by tax payers.

There can be to alternative.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:46 PM

There have been warnings about this situation and the fact it's been getting worse for years. Then I recall the bursaries for new nurses to train were abolished, so should anyone be surprised. Anyone training at the expense of the tax payer should be required to stay in the NHS for so many years, to pay that back by using that training for the benefit of the NHS, not for the benefit of them going to the private sector and then being hired by the NHS as agency nurses at considerably inflated costs.

https://www.health.org.uk/blogs/gene...saries-removed

I distinctly remember somewhere around 15-20 years' ago maternity services were warning that there would be a shortage if more staff were not recruited. Guess what happened – nothing and here we are with shortages!

https://www.rcm.org.uk/media-release...rale-says-rcm/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-06-2021, 09:58 PM

For one thing families will HAVE to step up and take responsibility for what they have been delegating to state provision very often being paid for by tax payers.

There can be to alternative.

Again I don't agree, and there are several reasons why I feel like this.

1) For a start, some elderly and/or sick folks have no family to "step up and take responsibility" for them. So then what?

2) Many of these care residents have special and complicated needs, so family with no medical knowledge might mean well, but could do more harm than good.
They could need special adapments, specific equipment, bath hoists, bed hoists, an understanding of drugs to administer, and nursing skills.

3) Who pays the mortgage if family have to give up work to take on long term care for someone?

4) Some families might be unable to accomodate an elderly relative either. Not everyone has spare rooms or a Granny annexe y'know!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top