Join for free
Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Re: Frugal living

Quail, phessie, hare, rabbit, rat, doc If they ate whole prey they'd never be on weight to fly lol but yes theres casting material in all feed.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 08:11 PM

When I shampoo and condition my hair I find i use more than needed as its normally a thick concentrate so save your last bottle empty half in to each and top up with water... 2 for the price of one... you will find it last so much longer.
Same as above for many cleaning fluids

Turn off all those items that are on standby... its not hard to get up and turn it on when you need it....
Bake your own cakes (and maybe one for the neigbour to swap) cheaper and taste better than brought.

Split plants put one back in the garden make a plant table out side and sell the other .....Plus sell extra veg fruit from the garden. I have a friend who makes 20pounds aday this way. If you have chickens sell the extra eggs.

When buying ingrediants for a lasg or stew etc.... dont buy for one or two persons but 6 or eight. put the rest in individal portions in the freezer for another day. As you will find buying bigger packs are cheaper the super markets like to rip the single person off....

I do swaps with my neighbours in return for salad I give my neigbour in the summer he gives me potatoes in the winter.
Another neighbour leaves his tractor in a barn in my field for this he gives me wild boar rabbits and deer when he goes hunting.

Go hunting while walking for musrooms and wild herbs.

Do a car boot at least every 3 months sell all that rubbish thats been in the attic /garage for ever, get all those flipping ordements people buy you out !!!
Put a sign in the post office to baby sit or dog walk.....
Nobaggage
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I was thinking about this thread when I was out and about this morning walking the dog - it really is a truism isn't it that the best things in life are free. I had a lovely time taking in the views, experiencing the cold, the ground hardening under my feet, watching my dog chase imaginary rabbits.

Since deciding to become more frugal my husband and I, when we go to see his mother who lives on the Devon coast, now have pasties on the beach rather than going to a cafe, it's saved us a fortune and it's so much more enjoyable. Granted - the misbehaving dog has barred us from many cafes in the area!

Maybe I'm just having one of those "life is good" moments today.

Sandy
I totally understand you Sandy ... I take my lunch to the beach or the mountains and share with my dogs , much better than listning to screaming kids and bickering couples on holiday , plus I eating much nicer and cheaper food.

Frugel living isnt about not having treats its about not falling into the hands of all the people in cafes supermarkets who are trying to rip you off price wise. It makes you feel good about your self.
Nobaggage

02-03-2013, 08:41 PM

I also feed my dogs a good quality food as its better for them. Also it works out cheaper as it has less rubbish in so the animal needs to eat less to be full.and healthy so although it cost more to buy it last longer as you need less like fairy washing up liquid !!;0) The result then is less pooing for you to pick up.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Wonderful tips nobaggage.

I often find those press-down dispensers of liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner, all dispense too much so watering them down is a good idea.

You're right about cakes tasting better when someone else has baked it.

I don't have chickens but lots of people in the village do and I find buying their eggs so much cheaper and so much nicer.

I am going to take your advice and do a boot sale over the next couple of weeks. I reckon I could easily make £50 if not more, I've got so much stuff that I need to offload.

thanks
Sandy

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
When I shampoo and condition my hair I find i use more than needed as its normally a thick concentrate so save your last bottle empty half in to each and top up with water... 2 for the price of one... you will find it last so much longer.
Same as above for many cleaning fluids

Turn off all those items that are on standby... its not hard to get up and turn it on when you need it....
Bake your own cakes (and maybe one for the neigbour to swap) cheaper and taste better than brought.

Split plants put one back in the garden make a plant table out side and sell the other .....Plus sell extra veg fruit from the garden. I have a friend who makes 20pounds aday this way. If you have chickens sell the extra eggs.

When buying ingrediants for a lasg or stew etc.... dont buy for one or two persons but 6 or eight. put the rest in individal portions in the freezer for another day. As you will find buying bigger packs are cheaper the super markets like to rip the single person off....

I do swaps with my neighbours in return for salad I give my neigbour in the summer he gives me potatoes in the winter.
Another neighbour leaves his tractor in a barn in my field for this he gives me wild boar rabbits and deer when he goes hunting.

Go hunting while walking for musrooms and wild herbs.

Do a car boot at least every 3 months sell all that rubbish thats been in the attic /garage for ever, get all those flipping ordements people buy you out !!!
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 10:31 PM

I also find that feeding my dog good quality food saves on heating the room as I am not up and down opening the window - if you get my drift. PONG!

I also feed my dogs a good quality food as its better for them. Also it works out cheaper as it has less rubbish in so the animal needs to eat less to be full.and healthy so although it cost more to buy it last longer as you need less like fairy washing up liquid !!;0) The result then is less pooing for you to pick up.
Nobaggage

02-03-2013, 10:56 PM

Ah but if you invest in a peg you could just let the dog heat the room !! ;0)

When making pesto sauce dont buy expensive pine nuts... cheap peanuts work just as well.
Baxter8
Somerset

02-03-2013, 10:59 PM

It would still make your eyes water though!

Ah but if you invest in a peg you could just let the dog heat the room !! ;0)

When making pesto sauce dont buy expensive pine nuts... cheap peanuts work just as well.

I love pesto sauce, never thought of using different nuts, there's no reason why pine nuts have to be used and they really are very expensive nowadays.
Nobaggage

02-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Also swap basil for corriander if you like it ....
Plus make your own flavoured oils instead of buying them
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 11:28 PM

Nobaggage said :---Do a car boot at least every 3 months sell all that rubbish thats been in the attic /garage for ever, get all those flipping ordements people buy you out !!!

In that case I would have to go out and buy a car.
On what I am reading we eat more frugally than most,we use the bus pass which means travel is free, I get all my exercise at the gym, because I volunteered to assist instructors at the gym.
I eat for my heart, all measured amounts, except when we go on holiday when we let our hair down, also at family party celebrations.
My wife cuts my hair, which is a good save, our heating is not used when not needed, we put a jumper on if it begins to go cooler.
But we don't penny pinch, if we need anything we buy it, no need to save for it.
I suppose it is to do with our upbringing, having had nothing during the war when we were bombed out, and dad getting killed during the war.

Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top