Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 08:40 PM

Gap between doorand frame

Last summer I had to put a door in the garden to stop a neighbour coming into my garden uninvited and also to make it secure for the dogs.
I bought the door from Travis Perkins and built the frame myself with treated wood and T&G. I gloss painted it all white
It was fine and fitted well until the weather started to get wet and now the doors swollen up so it wont close. Is there a set gap to leave between door and frame, also when should I cut it, when its dried out or now while its swollen.

marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 08:43 PM

Re: Gap between doorand frame

Cut when dry but if it’s only ‘tight ‘ at the moment then mark and try just planing
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 08:46 PM

When I read your reasons for putting this gate up, it reminded me of when Mum lived in the bungalow and the woman two doors down took it upon herself to look after Mum, despite the fact I was there most days, or my brother was nearby. She too would just walk into the garden uninvited and once when I was leaving and let rip about her...guess where she was? Yup, in Mum’s garden. We wondered if she’d heard.

Sorry...not helping you. But I empathise.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 02:37 PM

As Marmaduke says, I would just plane it slightly and see how how it goes.
Gary O'
New Member!
Oregon, USA
Gary O' is male 

18-04-2019, 07:42 AM

You don’t want a gate to be tight
I’d allow a half inch gap and nail a one inch thick stop (board) on the outer side

(pardon all the other gobblygook on the pic I stole)
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Thank you for the advice.
I am hoping that this holiday weekend to be able to fix this as at the moment my back garden is not very secure.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top