Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 07:56 PM

Re: Online Glasses

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We normally have our eye tests at Asda then take the prescription and use it to buy specs from glasses2you. As I said earlier on another thread, we have always received great service and the specs have always been as good as you can get anywhere. It certainly works for us, and I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone.
Sounds useful Barry - and they certainly have some attractive spectacles - but what do you do if they need adjusting/tightening etc.,? Will a high street optician adjust specs from elsewhere?
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
My brother-in-law has his eyes tested locally then goes online to purchase his contact lenses - saves a fortune by doing so.

So what does he do about aftercare?
Buy and wear contacts without a proper care and support package in place is playing Russian Roulette with your eyesight.
Also how does he know what diameter and curves to order?
A contact lens rx is different to a spectacle rx.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would never go to Specsavers anyway for an eye test. They are amateurs compared to proper opticians.

Are you serious?
Do you think that they employ unqualified optoms?
You are far more likely to encounter a cowboy at an independent optician.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK

12-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Has anyone ever tried to virtually try on frames to see which ones suit you before going in. I do because I can't see when I try them on in the store and I don't want just another's opinion, I like to see for myself what they look like.

Most places now have a video system to see how you look.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK

12-03-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sounds useful Barry - and they certainly have some attractive spectacles - but what do you do if they need adjusting/tightening etc.,? Will a high street optician adjust specs from elsewhere?

Possibly ok for basic specs but not for varifocals, bifocals or prism.
The measurements are critical.

Why should an optician adjust specs from elsewhere? All of the risk and no profit, I will refuse.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 08:17 PM

Depends on your vision. If you have an astigmatism I think they have to get the right point where your eyes look through the glass, so they measure it on your face and the glasses. You can't really do that online.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 08:55 PM

We get our eyes tested at Boots opticians and then take our prescriptions and get our glasses made up elsewhere. He has many years experience of this and charges about half of what Boots, Specsavers etc charge.

My husband did some work for a guy who used to work in a place that made up glasses and he said they cost pence and the mark up is huge.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 09:21 PM

Ive been using Specsavers for years and I can't fault the service

Unfortunately their prices have gone up considerably for those of us with complex prescriptions

I'd love to be able to buy online but I have severe astigmatism and I really do need to be measured correctly.

I'm thinking about giving Asda a try as I really do need prescription sunglasses as well and they don't add all the extras prices to the second pair which Specsavers now do
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 10:39 PM

Specsavers made two cock-ups with half frames and their customer service was well below par. Last week, walked into Wightsight and he made up a pair of specs for computer work for £25. Ace customer service too.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 09:14 AM

I like to support Specsavers as they started in my island home. However, each Specsavers is a franchise some being better than others. The one we go to in a nearby town is excellent, others have been poor.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top