Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 05:17 PM

This is a strange one..

...I made a purchase from the corner shop below me last weekend. It came to £11.39 - just some food and milk etc. I paid using contactless.

Now today I see that this money has been returned to me as the same amount has a plus mark next to it for £11.39 from the shop's account and the money in my account has gone up.

Clearly a mistake somehow. Do I go downstairs and inform the shop owner and pay again? Or should I wait and hope that it somehow rights itself? I don't want to end up paying twice, but neither do I want to end up paying nothing.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Re: This is a strange one..

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
...I made a purchase from the corner shop below me last weekend. It came to £11.39 - just some food and milk etc. I paid using contactless.

Now today I see that this money has been returned to my account as the same amount has a plus mark next to it for £11.39 from the shop's account and the money in my account has gone up.

Clearly a mistake somehow. Do I go downstairs and inform the shop owner and pay again? Or should I wait and hope that it somehow rights itself? I don't want to end up paying twice, but neither do I want to end up paying nothing.
Check it out with the owner.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Oh blimey Dreamy. It reminds me of that note you found outside Debenhams.
I would just keep an eye on your account, you have enough on your plate for now.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 05:22 PM

It was Harvey Nichols (or now the renamed Holly Nichols). I'm just going to leave it for now.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 05:23 PM

I would check with the owner of the shop to find out the reason for it .... it may be an error.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Check it out with the owner.

That's what I'd do too. Just ask the shop.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

04-09-2018, 05:26 PM

If the money is still there in a couple of days I'll check with the shop owner.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 07:05 PM

I would check with the Bank!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 07:58 PM

It will just be a banking/system delay. Sometimes the shop tills and scanners don't have their online connection to the banking system. They still work and will still take the card payments all day from customers. The shop then dumps all the transactions down the network later that day when the connection is restored. That will be a kind of different transaction process so I guess that the system makes an authorisation check against your account which is what you are seeing and then the actual payment will catch up a few days later.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

05-09-2018, 08:09 AM

That's what I think. If the payment hasn't been taken in a few days I'll contact the shop owner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top