Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Why don't I have asbestosis?

I am most grateful I don't have that unpleasant disease, nor do my younger sisters, but I find it hard to understand why we don't.

My father used asbestos a lot in his horticultural business, he would saw up sheets of it on a regular basis when we were kids. My sisters and I loved the silky feel of the asbestos dust, and would throw it into the air no doubt breathing it in. One of my sisters and I actually liked the taste of it, and would eat it!!!!!! I would have thought we were prime candidates to get asbestosis. Other people who appear to have much less contact than we did with asbestos have not been so fortunate.

WEIRD!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:25 AM

Re: Why don't I have asbestosis?

I also have worked in buildings where it was present ( mainly hospitals), many that worked in the shipyards have caught it.

I count myself lucky.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I also have worked in buildings where it was present ( mainly hospitals), many that worked in the shipyards have caught it.

I count myself lucky.
Maybe some people are fortunate enough to have cast iron lungs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:33 AM

My friend's husband died of this terrible disease.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:36 AM

I would guess that some people are predisposed by genetics to get certain medical conditions when a number of factors come into play.

Some lifelong smokers never get lung cancer , I knew an alcoholic who drank up to a bottle a gin a day for many years lived to the age of 90 and never had liver problems. There are exceptions to most rules.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:43 AM

My younger brother died of this, at the age of 38yrs.
Mesothelioma can also be caused by fungi, he was a forester.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I would guess that some people are predisposed by genetics to get certain medical conditions when a number of factors come into play.

Some lifelong smokers never get lung cancer , I knew an alcoholic who drank up to a bottle a gin a day for many years lived to the age of 90 and never had liver problems. There are exceptions to most rules.

I agree Meg. Strange but true how some get away with things and others don't.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am most grateful I don't have that unpleasant disease, nor do my younger sisters, but I find it hard to understand why we don't.

My father used asbestos a lot in his horticultural business, he would saw up sheets of it on a regular basis when we were kids. My sisters and I loved the silky feel of the asbestos dust, and would throw it into the air no doubt breathing it in. One of my sisters and I actually liked the taste of it, and would eat it!!!!!! I would have thought we were prime candidates to get asbestosis. Other people who appear to have much less contact than we did with asbestos have not been so fortunate.

WEIRD!
When I was a child we had a shed made of asbestos & the roof of the coal bunker too. I used to build a camp on that & the shed roof. I played on it for hours & used to pick bits off it. Even when my parents moved to Cornwall when Dad retired it was still there. So by rights I should have it too, but don't.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I agree also. We are all so uniquely different in everything

This is really good news Tarantula.
I’m happy for you.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

05-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I agree also. We are all so uniquely different in everything

This is really good news Tarantula.
I’m happy for you.
Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top