Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Yogini
New Member!
Florida
Yogini is female 

06-09-2018, 02:18 PM

"Starting Over"

I don't think anyone expects or plans to "start over" in their 50s, but, of course, people do. My husband and I are thinking about it, so I'm curious to hear from those of you who felt like you started over in one way or another later in life.

While my husband is retired, I have grown to be very dissatisfied with my job (although I need to keep working), primarily because there is a lot of dishonesty and covering up of (financial) things. In my gut, I have a very bad feeling and feel borderline frantic at times to get out of the place.

Our old friends where we live--well, our whole "group" has gone different ways, especially since some went into retirement. Seeing "friends" once a year doesn't really feel like friendship to me, and both my husband and I have sort of given up on the old crowd.

We are considering moving across the state and starting over in an area where we know very few people. It's an area we have visited/investigated before. The thought of doing this is both exciting and frightening, and I dread the upheaval and work this will entail. But I also feel excited!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Re: "Starting Over"

I wish you the best of luck.
I dread the upheaval of moving.
But I moved to be where I live now, because my younger brother was dying.
He has passed away now, but we stayed.
A fresh start is a good thing.
Do it whilst you can.
Do let us all know how it turns out.
We are a nosey lot.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

06-09-2018, 02:30 PM

We have moved many times to different Counties within the UK where we haven't known anyone at all and loved the excitement of exploring and making new friends. Seven years is our maximum stay anywhere before we get itchy feet and move on. These days we spend winters in Spain and travel UK in the summer. I would say go for it, we only live once.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Hi Yogini

There is nothing nicer than a "start over". It feels like you are given a second chance to explore and create something beautiful. Reach out to people when you get where you are going, most people will welcome you....

Keep us updated Yogini
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 02:44 PM

Definitely go for it, Yogini.
You're still young enough to do it. I'm presuming that you don't have any children that would mind you moving? Even so, it's only a journey away to visit isn't it?

Would you find a new job where you are moving to, is that an easy-ish option?

I would definitely do the same and escape the drudge and boredom of my working existence right now, but you do need to consider other aspects too.

Good luck and let us know what you think
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 03:05 PM

I would say go for it Yogini, we are also hoping to start afresh, both our Parents have passed now and we don't have any one to care for now, and we are hoping to move soon and make new friends.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 03:55 PM

Look upon it as an adventure, I mean how many of those do we get in later life. Go for it I say and the best thing about starting over is losing touch with those people you want to forget.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Yogini ->
I don't think anyone expects or plans to "start over" in their 50s, but, of course, people do. My husband and I are thinking about it, so I'm curious to hear from those of you who felt like you started over in one way or another later in life.

While my husband is retired, I have grown to be very dissatisfied with my job (although I need to keep working), primarily because there is a lot of dishonesty and covering up of (financial) things. In my gut, I have a very bad feeling and feel borderline frantic at times to get out of the place.

Our old friends where we live--well, our whole "group" has gone different ways, especially since some went into retirement. Seeing "friends" once a year doesn't really feel like friendship to me, and both my husband and I have sort of given up on the old crowd.

We are considering moving across the state and starting over in an area where we know very few people. It's an area we have visited/investigated before. The thought of doing this is both exciting and frightening, and I dread the upheaval and work this will entail. But I also feel excited!
Good for you Yogini, go for it! I know after 50 years of working full time, retirement for me 3 years ago was strange and scary. Took a while to get used to just he who must obey going out to work every morning, leaving me twiddling my thumbs wondering what to do with the rest of the day. I was so envious. Much much better now he's retired as well. We look upon it as a new chapter in our lives. So you making that life-changing decision to move to somewhere new should definitely be seen as an exciting new chapter in your lives.A new adventure is what one needs to keep one young!! What's the worst that can happen. If you find you cannot settle or don't like it, move on somewhere else. At this time of your lives, anything new is exciting. Enjoy it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Done it and best move ever made. Took early vol .retirement -moved - started in a completely new environment and going self employed. Never looked back, still worked hard but money going into my pocket not some large organisation.

I say if you don't try you will never know if your going to be better off
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 06:37 PM

Change can be scary even if planned, but so many ne opportunitys opening up for you, go for it im sure you will not regret it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top