Join for free
Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 02:22 PM

Re: Jury Service

On the lighter side:

15 things to expect when you do jury service

1. You gotta do it - Statistically it’s unlikely you’ll ever receive that big red summons. But if you do there’s no running and hiding. Even if you defer it (for which you have to have good reason) you’ll be on the radar and receive another summons pretty soon.

2. You’ll dread it - The fear of the unknown. Taking time off work. New travel arrangements. New people. It’s a whole two weeks! What if the case is horrid? What if I make the wrong decision?

3. Waiting around - But actually after the initial thrill of getting scanned into court and finding your holding room it suddenly gets a little dull as you wait to get called onto a jury. In fact there is a LOT of waiting around and boredom. Take a book.

4. Case excitement - Discovering what case you’ll be sitting will get your heart racing. After chatting with others in the holding room who have been wrangling over a stolen vacuum cleaner for a week you’ll be hankering for something a little more exciting.

5. Sudden responsibility - Upon learning the facts of your case you suddenly feel the weight of your civic duty and become quite thorough and sensible.

6. Realisation - And as soon as you take your place in court and face the real people involved in the case you become even more aware of your important role. Yep, you’re making decisions that effect people’s lives. It keeps you up at night.

7. Eye contact - Try not to make it. With anyone. Maybe the judge or a barrister who addresses the jury directly but really nothing meaningful with anyone giving evidence, the defendant or family members. It’s excruciating. Oh but they’ll be looking at you. A lot.

8. Bonding - You can’t discuss what happens in the deliberation room with anyone else so you and your other eleven good men (and women) bond pretty quickly and pretty hard. You lunch in the canteen together, you go on fag breaks together, you move through the halls as one. You’re as tight as blood brothers – until you’re disbanded.

9. Your own importance - The mere mortals rushing about living their inconsequential lives have no idea of the importance of the legal points you are thrashing out in your mind. The crucial decisions you are making.

10. Career or relationship change - In fact you are so caught up in the intense world of courts and crime and justice that you’re considering actually becoming a barrister yourself. Or marrying one because they suddenly all seem rather attractive and powerful the way they conduct themselves in court. And those wigs…

11. It’s not The Godfather - Unless you’re very unlucky no one is going to ‘lean on you’ to ‘make the right decision’. So don’t have nightmares, just call it the way you see it.

12. But there will be arguing - Of course you’ve got it all pegged and bang to rights, until one of your fellow jurors throws in a curve ball or doesn’t agree with the majority. You might want to tie it all up and go home for the night but until you’ve convinced at least ten of you (or sometimes all 12 of you) of the same outcome then sorry, you have to argue on.

13. Because you’re all different - And that’s the beauty of it. The randomness of selection means you could be working with anyone from anywhere, of any age or background. And you should listen to them.

14. The verdict is in - The gasp then hush as the jury files back in to give their verdict is almost unbearable. Even if the case seems small, the outcome will mean something to someone. It’s a momentous moment. And upon delivery be prepared for cries, cheers, disbelief or silence.

15. The bubble is burst - After two weeks of your life revolving around your cases in court you’re thrown back out into the real world. Things feel strange, you wonder what sentences have been handed out, you try to keep in touch with fellow jurors, you’re not sure what you want to do with your life. And then – poof, it’s like it never happened. But you’re insufferable now watching those courtroom dramas.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/03/15-th...4/?ito=cbshare

Sums it up quite well, I think .....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I have been summoned for the first time.
I haven't a clue what to expect.
But I suppose I will have to do my duty.
Wear your Betty Boop costume Sweetie. At least it will brighten things up in the courtroom

No, I'd hate it...but then it would probably be a nice break from working nights for a while.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 02:59 PM

I was summoned, but as I was ill at the time I got out of doing it & was taken off the register for jury service as the Doc had no idea when I'd be well again. I did recover with medication for life & am now OK, but by then it was too late to tell them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 03:06 PM

An incident I've recalled:

While I was sitting on the assault case, the jury contained a very nice but timid lady who shrank back from personal attention - an opinion had to be drawn from her like blood from a stone .....

Anyway, on the second morning of the trial, eleven of us we awaiting her arrival in the jury room. As time ticked on, we grew increasingly concerned for her because we had been warned of severe consequences for late arrival or absence.

TEN MINUTES LATE, she burst through the door with her clothes askew, her hair in disarray and her body shaking uncontrollably .....

The accompanying usher advised us that we had 20 minutes to calm her down and the judge would grant no further delay .....

We obtained a cup of tea for the lady and, while she was being "tidied up", she explained what had happened:

While travelling on the bus to court she had got caught up in a road accident. She had been extracted, uninjured, from the wreckage and was standing, quietly awaiting instructions, when a burly police officer came up and asked her if she was OK.

Apparently, she just said "Yes, but I'll be late for jury service". The burly police officer thought for a second then scooped her up, strapped her into the back of the nearest police car, settled himself into the passenger seat then ordered the driver (another burly police officer) "Crown Court, NOW!".

On came the "blues and twos" for a 6-minute dash through city traffic with the little lady in the back seat being (allegedly) "shunted from pillar to post" until arrival at the Crown Court, where again, she was scooped up and, finally, delivered, clothes askew and hair in disarray, to our door.

By now (tidied and tea drunk) she had settled down and, surprisingly, seemed to be basking in the attention that her "adventure" had precipitated - it seemed that the two burly police officers had "made her day" .....

Anyway, we had a case to consider so we entered court ..... to find the judge waiting. Expecting the worst, the timid lady shrank back in her seat but the court clerk asked her to rise for the judge's attention. As she did so, again shaking uncontrollably, the judge turned his stern gaze upon her and said "I am advised that you have an acceptable excuse for being late. No action will be taken against you." ..... then he winked and smiled.

There was some brief chuckling but then, of course, the trial had to resume.

Made my day, too .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
On the lighter side:

15 things to expect when you do jury service

1. You gotta do it - Statistically it’s unlikely you’ll ever receive that big red summons. But if you do there’s no running and hiding. Even if you defer it (for which you have to have good reason) you’ll be on the radar and receive another summons pretty soon.

2. You’ll dread it - The fear of the unknown. Taking time off work. New travel arrangements. New people. It’s a whole two weeks! What if the case is horrid? What if I make the wrong decision?

3. Waiting around - But actually after the initial thrill of getting scanned into court and finding your holding room it suddenly gets a little dull as you wait to get called onto a jury. In fact there is a LOT of waiting around and boredom. Take a book.

4. Case excitement - Discovering what case you’ll be sitting will get your heart racing. After chatting with others in the holding room who have been wrangling over a stolen vacuum cleaner for a week you’ll be hankering for something a little more exciting.

5. Sudden responsibility - Upon learning the facts of your case you suddenly feel the weight of your civic duty and become quite thorough and sensible.

6. Realisation - And as soon as you take your place in court and face the real people involved in the case you become even more aware of your important role. Yep, you’re making decisions that effect people’s lives. It keeps you up at night.

7. Eye contact - Try not to make it. With anyone. Maybe the judge or a barrister who addresses the jury directly but really nothing meaningful with anyone giving evidence, the defendant or family members. It’s excruciating. Oh but they’ll be looking at you. A lot.

8. Bonding - You can’t discuss what happens in the deliberation room with anyone else so you and your other eleven good men (and women) bond pretty quickly and pretty hard. You lunch in the canteen together, you go on fag breaks together, you move through the halls as one. You’re as tight as blood brothers – until you’re disbanded.

9. Your own importance - The mere mortals rushing about living their inconsequential lives have no idea of the importance of the legal points you are thrashing out in your mind. The crucial decisions you are making.

10. Career or relationship change - In fact you are so caught up in the intense world of courts and crime and justice that you’re considering actually becoming a barrister yourself. Or marrying one because they suddenly all seem rather attractive and powerful the way they conduct themselves in court. And those wigs…

11. It’s not The Godfather - Unless you’re very unlucky no one is going to ‘lean on you’ to ‘make the right decision’. So don’t have nightmares, just call it the way you see it.

12. But there will be arguing - Of course you’ve got it all pegged and bang to rights, until one of your fellow jurors throws in a curve ball or doesn’t agree with the majority. You might want to tie it all up and go home for the night but until you’ve convinced at least ten of you (or sometimes all 12 of you) of the same outcome then sorry, you have to argue on.

13. Because you’re all different - And that’s the beauty of it. The randomness of selection means you could be working with anyone from anywhere, of any age or background. And you should listen to them.

14. The verdict is in - The gasp then hush as the jury files back in to give their verdict is almost unbearable. Even if the case seems small, the outcome will mean something to someone. It’s a momentous moment. And upon delivery be prepared for cries, cheers, disbelief or silence.

15. The bubble is burst - After two weeks of your life revolving around your cases in court you’re thrown back out into the real world. Things feel strange, you wonder what sentences have been handed out, you try to keep in touch with fellow jurors, you’re not sure what you want to do with your life. And then – poof, it’s like it never happened. But you’re insufferable now watching those courtroom dramas.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/03/15-th...4/?ito=cbshare

Sums it up quite well, I think .....
Yes it does.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 05:42 PM

Off topic but in 1985 doing a London /Brighton charity bike ride at somewhere near Brighton a police car pulls us all over ( I was army ) and my name was shouted out so wondering just what I’d done I walked forward to be told my wife was in Epsom hospital having our first baby .... not much I can do about that I thought standing there with a bike at the roadside but the policeman had other ideas .... a minute later I was in the police car blue lights going and away we went ...... and I made it in time too !
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Wear your Betty Boop costume Sweetie. At least it will brighten things up in the courtroom

No, I'd hate it...but then it would probably be a nice break from working nights for a while.
The first bit made me laugh Floydy.
I know you are unhappy in your job, and rather a lot in your plate at the moment. X

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I was summoned, but as I was ill at the time I got out of doing it & was taken off the register for jury service as the Doc had no idea when I'd be well again. I did recover with medication for life & am now OK, but by then it was too late to tell them.
Maybe for the best Tiff.

Originally Posted by Omah ->
An incident I've recalled:

While I was sitting on the assault case, the jury contained a very nice but timid lady who shrank back from personal attention - an opinion had to be drawn from her like blood from a stone .....

Anyway, on the second morning of the trial, eleven of us we awaiting her arrival in the jury room. As time ticked on, we grew increasingly concerned for her because we had been warned of severe consequences for late arrival or absence.

TEN MINUTES LATE, she burst through the door with her clothes askew, her hair in disarray and her body shaking uncontrollably .....

The accompanying usher advised us that we had 20 minutes to calm her down and the judge would grant no further delay .....

We obtained a cup of tea for the lady and, while she was being "tidied up", she explained what had happened:

While travelling on the bus to court she had got caught up in a road accident. She had been extracted, uninjured, from the wreckage and was standing, quietly awaiting instructions, when a burly police officer came up and asked her if she was OK.

Apparently, she just said "Yes, but I'll be late for jury service". The burly police officer thought for a second then scooped her up, strapped her into the back of the nearest police car, settled himself into the passenger seat then ordered the driver (another burly police officer) "Crown Court, NOW!".

On came the "blues and twos" for a 6-minute dash through city traffic with the little lady in the back seat being (allegedly) "shunted from pillar to post" until arrival at the Crown Court, where again, she was scooped up and, finally, delivered, clothes askew and hair in disarray, to our door.

By now (tidied and tea drunk) she had settled down and, surprisingly, seemed to be basking in the attention that her "adventure" had precipitated - it seemed that the two burly police officers had "made her day" .....

Anyway, we had a case to consider so we entered court ..... to find the judge waiting. Expecting the worst, the timid lady shrank back in her seat but the court clerk asked her to rise for the judge's attention. As she did so, again shaking uncontrollably, the judge turned his stern gaze upon her and said "I am advised that you have an acceptable excuse for being late. No action will be taken against you." ..... then he winked and smiled.

There was some brief chuckling but then, of course, the trial had to resume.

Made my day, too .....
Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Off topic but in 1985 doing a London /Brighton charity bike ride at somewhere near Brighton a police car pulls us all over ( I was army ) and my name was shouted out so wondering just what I’d done I walked forward to be told my wife was in Epsom hospital having our first baby .... not much I can do about that I thought standing there with a bike at the roadside but the policeman had other ideas .... a minute later I was in the police car blue lights going and away we went ...... and I made it in time too !
Love that. Happy ending too. X

Not ignoring you Omah, I see Longlegs already quoted. Thanks. X
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Lovely story thanks. X
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 06:17 PM

I did jury service. The case, brought by a woman against her former partner, was that he had sexually assaulted her young daughter.The charge was brought two years after the alleged incident. A just after the couple split up.

The evidence was full of holes. OK, we retire to the jury room.
I asked for a show of hands for a not guilty. Eleven hands were raised.
One guy said "I'm not sure."
I reminded him of the judges words.
"If you have doubts, you must acquit."

Then it descended into the sort of argument you sometimes see on internet forums.

It took another hour to reach the same not guilty verdict we almost had within the first five minutes.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

11-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Not ignoring you Omah, I see Longlegs already quoted. Thanks. X
No problem .....

As I keep looking back, I'm recalling other incidents which made the two weeks pleasantly memorable .....

There was a lot of banter, wit and repartee between judges and barristers (just like "Rumpole of the Bailey") - much of it I have forgotten, but I remember that one QC spent rather too much time, in the opinion of the judge, on explaining a point to we (bored) jurors so the judge intervened:

(with a rather tired voice (like Andrew Cruickshank (Dr Cameron))) "Mister Plumley, we all know that that one may lead a horse to water but one cannot make the horse drink. I rather suspect that you are having the same level of success with my jury. Make your point and move on." (with a wave of the hand" (like Alistair Sim (in St Trinians)))

Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top