Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 10:44 PM

Re: New Garage Doors

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've had a standard manual up and over garage door for the last thirty years, I have had to make some parts for it over the years to keep it working but fancy a new electric rolly door, but what happens in the event of a power cut? Bearing in mind I don't have a side door, and I wouldn't be able to get my car out!....I might just leave it be and make it more secure.
My plans too Bob when I get sorted out finacially next year. We'll probably get a new shutter door as the current one is rather rusty and 'drags' on its channels at the sides. More than a drop of oil would fix in fact.
need a new roof too as it's made of corrugated fabric material that gets damp and drips into the garage.
A side door is very useful though as I can get into the garage from the patio doors to my beer fridge in an emergency!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've had a standard manual up and over garage door for the last thirty years, I have had to make some parts for it over the years to keep it working but fancy a new electric rolly door, but what happens in the event of a power cut? Bearing in mind I don't have a side door, and I wouldn't be able to get my car out!....I might just leave it be and make it more secure.
A power cut could be a problem if the electric door is the only way into the garage. There is a back door into ours and the electric door could be opened manually with a turning handle. A slow process but possible if it came to it.

One good thing that came of the failed electric door venture was that the new up-and-over door looks much smarter than the one that had been there since the house was built.

https://www.garador.co.uk/garador-ra...cathedral.aspx
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 11:06 PM

Never let a power cut stop access to the Beer Fridge!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 11:08 PM

The beer fridge is in the garage.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 11:18 PM

Love those garage doors Tabs!
Mine is a manual up and over too
A pain because you have to leave them open most of the time
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Mine is.
Mrs Foxtrot
Southern England
Mrs Foxtrot is female  Mrs Foxtrot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 12:24 AM

We had an electric door put in a few years ago which was one of the best things we did. There is an internal door from the utility room to the garage so if there were a power cut we could still open it using the method mart mentioned.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Hi

I don't have a garage any more so not an issue for me.

My old garage had an electric roller door but was always too full of stuff to get the car in.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:18 AM

If there was a power cut - warm beer! Yuk!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 11:07 AM

A power cut could be a problem if the electric door is the only way into the garage. There is a back door into ours and the electric door could be opened manually with a turning handle. A slow process but possible if it came to it.

One good thing that came of the failed electric door venture was that the new up-and-over door looks much smarter than the one that had been there since the house was built.
That's a very nice garage door Mart, better not let Mrs Fox see it or she'll want one....You know what women are like...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top