Join for free
Annetteg808
New Member!
Romford
Annetteg808 is female 

02-03-2019, 10:22 PM

Thinking of moving to Dagenham

Seen a lovely house but my friends are not saying it’s a wise choice. Any thoughts.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 10:23 PM

Re: Thinking of moving to Dagenham

Depends on which part you are thinking of Annette. it has its problems but then so does everywhere.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 12:10 AM

welcome to the site

re your wanting to move , having moved 5 times ourselves ,ask yourself these questions

1 why do I want to move
2 is there work available where I want to go to
3 How convenient are things like shops -doctors- hospitals- transport
4 what is the area like
5 is the property exactly what i want
6 does it need a lot of work done inside and out
7 can I afford the down payment /mortgage
8 what is the rateable value
9 does it have main service such as gas-electricity- water -sewerage
10 what would it cost on a week/monthly basis to live there
11 how much in moving cost -removals- solicitors and the like

the last thing I can think of at the moment and maybe the most important
would I be happy there
Annetteg808
New Member!
Romford
Annetteg808 is female 

03-03-2019, 12:58 AM

The house is bigger and a massive garden. I have no friends there. I’m worried about kids using stations - Chadwell Heath would be closest. And as you said nowhere is totally safe anymore. House near Beacontree pub.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 01:00 AM

I used to live in Chelmsford many moons ago.
So I am no use at all.
But, do introduce yourself here -
https://www.over50sforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 05:22 AM

Annette,you also have Dagenham East,which is a 'tube' station.
Dagenham itself,although a bit 'busy' has always seemed to be a friendly place,that doesn't judge by skin colour or race,etc.
I have never lived there-but I often go there due to my work,plus I have friends who live there by choice-and they're all perfectly happy. The 'crime rate' is low,incidents of drunkenness and/or 'bad behaviour' are low. You wouldn't think so,in such a multi-cultural,multi-religious,multi-coloured place;the first thing one would worry about would be the diversity of cultures...but all three friends who live there-one not a stone's throw from the Beacontree Inn-say it's an excellent place to live. I took all three families to my little island out here in 'Ohh,Arrrh'-land and all three families said it was FAR too quiet,too remote,too far from shops,etc. Dagenham won,hands down-so you go right in hon!
I wish you a very happy relocation-and the Beacontree does a really nice Sunday meal,by the way...
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 08:46 AM

I don’t know the area at all but presuming FORD is big there and house prices must be linked to employment ..... just saying
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 09:10 AM

There are pockets of good and bad in Dagenham. I have family that have lived there happily for about twenty years. They have the nicest neighbours originally from Ghana who would do anything to help them.

Have you looked on the crime map?

https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/E05000029/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Visit the house at different times of the day, week and school hols if possible. Ask at local shops (casually) they usually know what goes on in the area.
I was lucky that my daughter knows this area as she lives nearby so I had some idea of it before moving last year.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top