Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Fosterbrad
London UK
Fosterbrad is male  Fosterbrad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Replace ‘first past the post’ voting with ‘Proportional Representation’.

My petition:

First-past-the-post allows the election of candidates on a plurality, not a majority of votes. Under this voting system constituencies are also often won without a majority. It also penalises small parties both in aggregation of votes into seats and by providing incentives to vote tactically.

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...almZpy0P7jJRca
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:51 PM

Re: Replace ‘first past the post’ voting with ‘Proportional Representation’.

Originally Posted by Fosterbrad ->
My petition:

First-past-the-post allows the election of candidates on a plurality, not a majority of votes. Under this voting system constituencies are also often won without a majority. It also penalises small parties both in aggregation of votes into seats and by providing incentives to vote tactically.

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...almZpy0P7jJRca

Signed !!!

This is just the beginning matey, I also want to see the HoL abolished, to be replaced with a democratically elected second chamber, convert MPs into delegates, and abolish the Monarchy - again to be replaced with a democratically elected President.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:59 PM

Never
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Never

Who the hell asked you??? - you don't even live here, and for your information, reform is already on the cards as there is a resolution to abolish the HoL.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 01:34 PM

We have already had a referendum on a different voting system..

Vote 2011: UK rejects alternative vote
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13297573

.... or maybe you didn't even notice it had happened because unlike with leaving the EU, the losers didn't jump up and down and behave like spoilt children after receiving the result .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

24-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
We have already had a referendum on a different voting system..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13297573

.... or maybe you didn't even notice it had happened because unlike with leaving the EU, the losers didn't jump up and down and behave like spoilt children after receiving the result .

Yes, but Cameron deliberately omitted STV as a possibility for vote reform - and therefore, since the public have never had an opportunity to vopice their opinion on that method of election, its about time we asked them.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Who the hell asked you??? - you don't even live here, and for your information, reform is already on the cards as there is a resolution to abolish the HoL.
I don't live in the UK, but we have had proportional representation for some time.
There are 150 MPs in the Dutch parliament, meaning a government needs 76 seats to form a majority. No single party ever manages this and the Netherlands has been governed by coalitions for more than a century.
Parliament is elected by proportional representation in a single, nationwide constituency – which means that any party that wins 0.67% of the national vote is assured of a seat.

Dutch politics have been marked in recent decades by a sharp decline in support for the three main parties of government from the centre-right and left. Their share of the vote has shrunk from more than 80% in the 1980s to ca. 40% in last elections (2017).
In the Netherlands, it has been paralleled by a proliferation of smaller special interest parties: no fewer than 28 of them, many new, were contesting in 2017. As many as 13 got seats,*including party for the animals (5 seats), 50plus (4 seats), denk (translates as think) an islamic party (3 Seats), forum for democracy (2 seats).
It is this fragmentation of the vote, rather than a big increase in support, that could see the PVV become the second largest party.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 01:56 PM

I might not live in England UJ but you asked a question and I answered it

I still vote and I still own property in England
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 02:19 PM

We do need change but I'll be honest I don't understand the proportional voting system enough to judge if it's the change we need ?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Maybe a petition as to whether or not Guy Fawkes should be reincarnated.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top