Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Re: You're So Vain

Originally Posted by Realist ->
What has suddenly turned this nation into a land of moronic sheep all obsessed with how they look?
You remind me of my Grandad when he moaned on about Teddy Boys, Mods and Rockers, Hippies, whatever. If it didn't have a short back and sides and a dollop of Brylcreem he hated it. He really, really hated Top of the Pops, and not just the performers because he hated the audience too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
You remind me of my Grandad when he moaned on about Teddy Boys, Mods and Rockers, Hippies, whatever. If it didn't have a short back and sides and a dollop of Brylcreem he hated it. He really, really hated Top of the Pops, and not just the performers because he hated the audience too.
We all end up the equivalent of Grandad at some point I guess !

That said it seems to me there's a distinct difference between those who are ultra vain, obsessed with their looks and bodies, and those simply identifying with their media heroes. Mods and rockers wasn't about vanity, it was about identifying with music and pop stars.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:23 PM

I think Felicity Kendal looks great. She doesn't look different just older. If anyone can get away with the clothes she can. her figure is fabulous for a 72 year old. Although I can't stand the ripped jean fashion (because many young women forget to shave their kneecaps and don't realise how wrinkly and unattractive they are) she makes them look stylish.

Fashion is part of social identity so people imitate those they identify with so that they can be seen as part of that group. Less about vanity, more about fitting in.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Interesting. In 50+ years I have never had anyone "mess with me", at least not to any significant extent. That's probably because I am an empathetic guy who listens to people and am generally understanding. I don't act in ways that provoke people such that they would want to be physically abusive, I don't put myself in situations where there is likely to be physical violence. If it ever did happen then my Jiu Jitsu and other training would be employed and as anyone so trained knows, you most certainly do not need to be a weight lifter or gym freak to be able to efficiently defend yourself and put a larger violent thug to the ground in short measure. There are plenty of stick thin individuals who would dispatch a well built grunt pretty quickly. Such opponents tend to have very weak joints. Big muscles but very weak joints and are slow and cumbersome opponents.
Really they are not the kind of opponents you actually want because the swift movements and strikes of the art would deal very permanent damage to their knees and other joints and key target areas (eyes, nose, throat etc). Nobody really wants to deal such life impacting damage to anyone but it can become unavoidable if silly people persist in, as you put it, "messing with people".

Swimfeeders would have plenty to say here. I don't know him personally but I would confidently say he's unlikley to be a weight lifter or a muscle man of any sort. He is simply well trained and knows how to end a fight in an instant with minimal effort via carefully well chosen and placed strikes. Dirty they may be, but hugely effective they are !
You aren't a tall black man working in an emergency department of local hospital I guess realist. He seems to be one they call on when the nurses need help and much as he is empathetic he can't just stand by and see nurses sexually assaulted or hit.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You aren't a tall black man working in an emergency department of local hospital I guess realist. He seems to be one they call on when the nurses need help and much as he is empathetic he can't just stand by and see nurses sexually assaulted or hit.
Good for him., although no staff should be having to take physical actions against patients, it is dangerous and libellious. Police should be called and allowed to deal with such cases.

Regardless he has no need to be a weight lifter to be able to undertake the task. Just needs the right training. In case of point it's more dangerous to be an untrained muscle man than it is to be a lighter weight martial artist. He could ultimately hurt someone more than intended without realising. Understanding and control are what is needed.

Simple techniques for restraint that don't cause damage,
understanding of pressure points and how to use them.

Outside of hosiptal scenarios and into real street fights then you have a huge variety of throws, kicks, blocks, strangle holds, sweeps, strikes and much much more. All about balance, stance, using the opponents weight and momentum against them, redirecting their wild uncontrolled blows with ease and popping them unserruptitiously onto the floor, maybe then applying an arm or leg lock or simple thumb, finger or wrist lock. All equally painful and incapacitating. And those are simply the neutral basic movements and actions, not the more damaging "street fighting" methods!

Anyway, I take your point that your particular husband is training for safety reasons rather than vanity.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 06:22 PM

Throughout the ages people have tried to dress to impress. Apart from the styles and fashion being easier to afford these days, nothing much has changed. I think I would rather be in this century that the 17th century, especially if I were a man -they all wore wigs with big hats, stockings and pointy shoes if they could afford them. What about their trousers - now they were ridiculous. I think these days we dress far more comfortably, even if we do sometimes try to look a bit younger by keeping in style with what the younger ones are wearing. It's harmless - well perhaps extreme body building isn't, but it must make them feel good about themselves.

By the way is Carol Vorderman's bum really as big as that, has she let herself go that much or has she had implants. She obviously hasn't got a clue what she looks like these days. Meeooowww. I don't think ripped jeans could ever detract from that derriere.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 06:26 PM

I agree with so much you say, realist.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 07:01 PM

We all end up the equivalent of Grandad at some point I guess !
Quite so.

Mods and rockers wasn't about vanity, it was about identifying with music and pop stars.
My Grandad couldn't have cared less, he still hated the way they looked. He was an equal-opportunity hater.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It seems the bigger the bodybuilders body gets, the smaller their heads look. Pinheads!
They all look like Michelin men!

Felicity Kendal could do with some trout lips!

You could have a backie on Carol Vordeman’s bottom. (Like you do on a bike)

Yes, they've worn off a bit now

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Felicity-Kendal-297736.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	9152  
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:00 PM

I must admit I'm heartily sick of today's society and their obsession with themselves, all the posing and posturing. Social media and the internet have a lot to answer for.
It's both sad and pathetic to be so obsessed with yourself.

Fashion is different, I think we all at some point followed the 'trends' throughout the years. We still can within reason ie if we can carry it off without going OTT.

As for the muscle men type ... nah. It makes me cringe looking (shivers).

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top