Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:01 PM

Re: You're So Vain

I never got beyond the DA Haircut!

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
We all end up the equivalent of Grandad at some point I guess !

That said it seems to me there's a distinct difference between those who are ultra vain, obsessed with their looks and bodies, and those simply identifying with their media heroes. Mods and rockers wasn't about vanity, it was about identifying with music and pop stars.
Not forgetting of course their modes of transport – scooters for the Mods but motorcycles for the Rockers!

Trouble at seaside resorts were often part of Bank Holidays for both Mods and Rockers , see link below:

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:10 PM

That last one looks like George Dubya, ready to take on the world.

Ms Kendal looks OK, Vorderwoman's just having a laugh.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I must admit I'm heartily sick of today's society and their obsession with themselves, all the posing and posturing. Social media and the internet have a lot to answer for.
It's both sad and pathetic to be so obsessed with yourself.

Fashion is different, I think we all at some point followed the 'trends' throughout the years. We still can within reason ie if we can carry it off without going OTT.

As for the muscle men type ... nah. It makes me cringe looking (shivers).
But wasn't it always like that, more so when some here were young. Punks, Teddy boys, Mods, Skinheads, All different tribes with very distinct images. If anything it's becoming boring and generic now. There's no real message behind the fashions.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:23 PM

I do wonder how much of this can be attributed to the posing for mobile phone 'selfies' with the stupid pose and equally stupid, pouting lips? How ridiculous some of these people look!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:27 PM

Years ago there was an Ad for men showing a muscular man and a skinny weakling that said;
"You too can have a body like mine or your money back in seven days, many got their money back
Also, most men used Brylcreem as they wanted to resemble Rudolph Valentino considered the best looking man in the World
When he died women wept, and thousands of people attended his funeral
In the fifties, we girls wore skimpy hot pants and off the shoulder blouses and men did not call out rude suggestions to us.
They had more self-control then and they had Mothers who would wipe the floor with them if they were rude to females.

What about Cleopatra who bathed in Asses Milk to keep her skin looking nice. Vanity is not new.

Vanity! Vanity! All is Vanity!.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I do wonder how much of this can be attributed to the posing for mobile phone 'selfies' with the stupid pose and equally stupid, pouting lips? How ridiculous some of these people look!
I do think that culture of selfies can lead to a mental illness. I'm sure it increases social anxiety.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
You sound like me Baz, I'm always ranting about selfies. How many 'non smiling' 'pouting lips' do people want of themselves FFS. And, don't mention 'selfie bums' . Talk about selling themselves as objects
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 09:36 PM

And another thing.
The media are constantly telling us we must look younger and wear the latest fashions and cosmetics
Or we will be put out with the rubbish
They do not show people with 'Heart of Gold! making sacrifices for their families and fellow men No it is rich Celebrities including men, who have had Botox and Plastic Surgery and private hairdressers, they who never do housework, and we are supposed to model ourselves on them

Of course, we all try to look decent for our age but are not obsessed with looks.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
As for the muscle men type ... nah. It makes me cringe looking (shivers).
The first two pics show "bodybuilders" who very likely used steroids to get like that. I may well be wrong, but I think the odds are in my favour. The third pic is of a guy from somewhere like Brazil, if memory serves, and he gave himself fake muscles by injecting himself with Synthol - you'd have to be nuts to risk doing that.

https://caliberstrong.com/what-is-synthol/

Take anything to excess and it will look weird.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top