Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 10:24 AM

If you found a piece of glass in your soup...

I did!

There I was in M&S cafe enjoying my bowl of chicken mushroom and rice soup, nearly finished it and something crunched in my mouth.
I thought oh damn another bit of tooth's broken (got an appointment to have it fixed next week before our holiday), but when I removed it and took a closer look I could see it wasn't a piece of tooth but a bit of glass.
Actually I think it was plastic, a triangular shape about 3-4mm.

I went to the counter and asked to speak to the manager.
Very nice young lady came and was suitably horrified.
Took it to send to wherever, took my name, address, phone number and email. This info was for the form she would be filling in.
Surprised me by telling me she didn't expect me to hear from anyone, but gave me a refund of double what I'd paid.

I told her I thought I'd get an email or letter of apology...she said she didn't think so.
No fault of hers of course, but I was surprised.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Re: If you found a piece of glass in your soup...

How times have changed. I can remember the same happening in a tin of Heinz soup years ago and Heinz sent lots of free samples and money off vouchers.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 10:45 AM

I would be very surprised if you did not get a letter from M&S at least acknowledging your complaint, if not also making an apology. Often vouchers are sent as a form of compensation.

Two supermarkets I have made complaints against have both replied apologising and making great efforts to compensate me for what I complained about.

A member of my family believes very much in publicising any complaint against any company having a Facebook page. Imagine how many people would see that page and any complaint on it. That works as like any business they don't like adverse publicity.

If you are not satisfied with the response, if any, you receive then M&S do have a Facebook page.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I did!

There I was in M&S cafe enjoying my bowl of chicken mushroom and rice soup, nearly finished it and something crunched in my mouth.
I thought oh damn another bit of tooth's broken (got an appointment to have it fixed next week before our holiday), but when I removed it and took a closer look I could see it wasn't a piece of tooth but a bit of glass.
Actually I think it was plastic, a triangular shape about 3-4mm.

I went to the counter and asked to speak to the manager.
Very nice young lady came and was suitably horrified.
Took it to send to wherever, took my name, address, phone number and email. This info was for the form she would be filling in.
Surprised me by telling me she didn't expect me to hear from anyone, but gave me a refund of double what I'd paid

I told her I thought I'd get an email or letter of apology...she said she didn't think so.
No fault of hers of course, but I was surprised.
Wow ruthio, good job you didn’t swallow it , that would’ve been a visit to hospital...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How times have changed. I can remember the same happening in a tin of Heinz soup years ago and Heinz sent lots of free samples and money off vouchers.
Well of course, that's what I was hoping for!!

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I would be very surprised if you did not get a letter from M&S at least acknowledging your complaint, if not also making an apology. Often vouchers are sent as a form of compensation.

Two supermarkets I have made complaints against have both replied apologising and making great efforts to compensate me for what I complained about.

A member of my family believes very much in publicising any complaint against any company having a Facebook page. Imagine how many people would see that page and any complaint on it. That works as like any business they don't like adverse publicity.

If you are not satisfied with the response, if any, you receive then M&S do have a Facebook page.
Thanks for that info Baz, very interesting... I'll see if I hear in the next few weeks, and if not I might access the Fb page with a comment or two!

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Wow ruthio, good job you didn’t swallow it , that would’ve been a visit to hospital...
I did wonder if there had been other tiny bits that had gone unnoticed!

Thanks for the feedback folks x
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:58 AM

ruthio, Just to say, l would have followed this up to head office via a phone call or email. I would ask if they were aware of the matter and had it been looked into.
If it happened to you, it could happen to someone else, a child even, who could choke.
Besides, it should never have occurred, especially a reputable company like Marks and Spencer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
ruthio, Just to say, l would have followed this up to head office via a phone call or email. I would ask if they were aware of the matter and had it been looked into.
If it happened to you, it could happen to someone else, a child even, who could choke.
Besides, it should never have occurred, especially a reputable company like Marks and Spencer.

Ruthio, I totally agree with, Art. You could have swallowed that.
That is so wrong of her saying you're not likely to hear anything.

One problem is, the manager has taken away the only 'evidence' there was. She could have chucked it in the bin for all you know.

Follow it up gal, I would.
Did you get the manager's name?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

04-04-2019, 01:26 PM

Thanks Art and Mups...no I didn't think to get the girl's name, but I'm trusting that she will report it as she said she would.
I might pop in there next week to check.

If I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks I will follow it up and call head office etc.
It's happened at an annoying time for me because we're off on holiday soon and I haven't the time!!

Edited: Strike while the iron is hot!
I've called Marks Head Office, they transferred me to Customer Services, they transferred me to the Food Team...and the lovely Charlotte has now taken charge.
She took all my details again, said yes they certainly would be getting back to me. She would immediately check that they had received the report from the store/cafe I was in.
Reassured me that they take this kind of thing very seriously blah blah blah...

So I will be getting an email at some point...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks Art and Mups...no I didn't think to get the girl's name, but I'm trusting that she will report it as she said she would.
I might pop in there next week to check.

If I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks I will follow it up and call head office etc.
It's happened at an annoying time for me because we're off on holiday soon and I haven't the time!!

Edited: Strike while the iron is hot!
I've called Marks Head Office, they transferred me to Customer Services, they transferred me to the Food Team...and the lovely Charlotte has now taken charge.
She took all my details again, said yes they certainly would be getting back to me. She would immediately check that they had received the report from the store/cafe I was in.
Reassured me that they take this kind of thing very seriously blah blah blah...

So I will be getting an email at some point...

That sounds more like the response you should have got, Ruthio. Well done you, I am glad you followed it up.

That Manager was very wrong IMO, to tell you not to expect to hear anything. Maybe she is new at the job?

Be interesting to hear the outcome in due course.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

05-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That sounds more like the response you should have got, Ruthio. Well done you, I am glad you followed it up.

That Manager was very wrong IMO, to tell you not to expect to hear anything. Maybe she is new at the job?

Be interesting to hear the outcome in due course.
Had an email straight away, yesterday, following my call!

Hi ******

Our ref: *******

Thanks for taking the time to give us a call today.

I have now spoken to another member of the management team in the café in the ******* store, who confirmed she had spoken to the Manager that dealt with your complaint. They have reassured me everything will be sent to us today, including an online form.

Once everything arrives here, we will look into this further and get back in touch once we've completed our investigation.

If we can be of any more help in the meantime, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards

Charlotte Wright
Retail Customer Services
Your M&S Customer Service

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top