Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Mods and Rockers

No, this isn't about moderators trying to calm down the rockers and stirrers in here....
Actually I wasn't sure which area to post it in as it's to do with music and fashion. In fact, a whole movement - so I decided on a General thread.

Tonight I'm going out to a Mods 'n' Rockers evening at a social club in Hull. I haven't been before but it's a sort of convention where people get together to relive those days in the 1960's of that era when there was a rivalry between those two groups of people. Apparently many of those original scenesters turn up in their old togs: teddy boys, rockabilly and rock 'n' rollers.

There are a couple of live bands on plus raffles and so on and it's all for a cancer charity.
I am dressing 'neutral' in a checked shirt as I wasn't old enough for those days, although I was into the late 70's revival which included bands such as The Jam and the Ska 2-Tone bands. And of course I love The Who and the Quadrophenia film.

Were any of you involved in the original scene in the early '60s? Any stories?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Re: Mods and Rockers

Think I might still have some Brothel Creepers somewhere!

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Think I might still have some Brothel Creepers somewhere!

Wow! Brothel creepers.
I'm wearing some suede shoes and a Northern Soul shirt, so I'll be a bit of a mixture!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:34 PM

I was into the Mod revival too Floydy (not old enough for the original obviously) and I remember how over the moon I was when my Granddad gave me a pair of original - yes original - two tone winkle pickers. They were far more pointed than the seventies ones and were the envy of all my mates. Killed my feet though.

Hope you enjoy it tonight, the music should be great.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-04-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was into the Mod revival too Floydy (not old enough for the original obviously) and I remember how over the moon I was when my Granddad gave me a pair of original - yes original - two tone winkle pickers. They were far more pointed than the seventies ones and were the envy of all my mates. Killed my feet though.

Hope you enjoy it tonight, the music should be great.
I reckon some of that original chothng is quite collectable now mate. Wish I had a Lambretta with fifty mirrors on it lol

Yes it should be a good night. Mrs F is going along with some friends (who are bikers). I wonder if they'll all be scrapping in the car park afterwards!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I reckon some of that original chothng is quite collectable now mate. Wish I had a Lambretta with fifty mirrors on it lol

Yes it should be a good night. Mrs F is going along with some friends (who are bikers). I wonder if they'll all be scrapping in the car park afterwards!
Only if someone knocks their bikes over like dominoes.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:54 PM

Brothel Creepers were more the Teddy Boys, who came before the Mods and Rockers.

I was never in a gang or group of motor cyclists but I had a motor bike and wore leathers, so would have fallen into the 'rocker' camp I suppose.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:56 PM

Hi Floydy, l wasnt amod or arocker, l was a greaser,
I dont know where we fitted in the scheme of things in
those days, l think we more of an offshoot realy
Perhaps you could enlighten me?
Enjoy your night off

Best Regards Donkeyman
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-04-2019, 04:57 PM

Having your initials on your blazer pocket was quite trendy apparently. I have pics of my Dad wearing them.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 05:19 PM

I had boy friends with motor bikes & boy friends with scooters, so guess I was both a mod & a rocker.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top