Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
etaylor
New Member!
California
etaylor is female 

12-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Re: I Could Not Believe This

I'm new here but wanted to jump in on this conversation. My mother is 93 and is on the computer on a daily basis. She emails everyone and has her own Facebook account. She has a cell phone, DVD player and her laptop. I know plenty of young people who aren't nearly as computer savvy as my mom.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by etaylor ->
I'm new here but wanted to jump in on this conversation. My mother is 93 and is on the computer on a daily basis. She emails everyone and has her own Facebook account. She has a cell phone, DVD player and her laptop. I know plenty of young people who aren't nearly as computer savvy as my mom.
Hi etaylor, and welcome to the forum.

Your mum sounds wonderful! Good for her.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:51 AM

I'm 57 and about as thick as it's possible to be (in this day and age) with anything techy; not because I can't learn it but I'm just not interested enough to take it in and retain the info - in fact, I find the whole tech scene an absolute bore. As long as I can type stuff, order stuff and watch stuff, that's all I need to know
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Back in the 60's our maths teacher was very interested in computer science and taught us the basics of programming. I spent virtually all my working life in IT, firstly as a Large systems engineer (in the days when computers were the size of a house) and later in software development. I'm a bit rusty now, but I could program in about 7 or 8 computer languages.

Now, I don't care a lot for technology. I don't struggle with it, I'm just not interested in some things I can do without. I've survived without a smart phone, twitter, facebook, kindle, sat nav etc... for over 60 years and I see no need to start now. This desktop PC and my digital camera suit me fine.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I don't struggle with it, I'm just not interested in some things I can do without. I've survived without a smart phone, twitter, facebook, kindle, sat nav etc... for over 60 years and I see no need to start now. This desktop PC and my digital camera suit me fine.
I think that sums it up for a lot of older people - there just isn't the interest to get involved with it all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 07:34 PM

I used to be interested, took a couple of courses. Then when my old PC got old and not compatible with any new printers and my new laptop wasn't compatible with my favourite program " Microsoft Picture It, Print Studio" which enabled me to make all sorts of lovely things, manipulate images, make animated e-mails etc. I rapidly lost interest, especially as Photoshop is sooooo complicated to use! Now this laptop's not compatible with our new printer so, have given up printing anything!
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 02:51 AM

I had windows 3.1 and also a dot matrix printer. They seemed so cool at the time. I later got a letter quality printer with a daisy wheel, boy was that thing loud!

I have done a lot of freelance writing. I stared out with a manual and then an electric typewriter. I wrote a book on the electric and used carbon paper for the copies. Wow, I wish I had a modern computer back then.

When I bought my first microwave it was Huge, and I had to go to a special store to buy it. I have never been without a microwave since.

I hate to read instructional manuals, so usually just learn anything new by trial and error. If I can't figure something out, I will ask my son and he can usually figure it out.

I really love learning new things.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

13-12-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Angelfire ->

I hate to read instructional manuals, so usually just learn anything new by trial and error.
I hate those things as well - no matter how hard I try to concentrate on the drivel, I mean, instructions and endless explanation, my eyes always glaze over

If I can't figure something out, I will ask my son and he can usually figure it out.

I really love learning new things.
I always ask my son or eldest granddaughter but I think my son gets a bit fed up of it still, I remind him of all the things I have done, and still do, for him and he just gets on with it then
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 04:01 AM

I have noticed more and more that there is NO instruction manual. Just a page or so of how to set the item up. Cheap companies, LOL. We are supposed to go on their web site for the help. I don't care, as I do it by trial and error anyway, haaaa
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Angelfire ->
I have noticed more and more that there is NO instruction manual. Just a page or so of how to set the item up. Cheap companies, LOL. We are supposed to go on their web site for the help. I don't care, as I do it by trial and error anyway, haaaa
Or sometimes, if you're very lucky, a DVD! Cheaper and easier to produce. But you can't beat a good old fashioned paper manual though, can you? So much better to have one spread out in front of you as you set up. And a darn sight quicker.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top