Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 10:10 AM

Re: Greedy Royalty!!!

Hi
Hmmm, let's see.

A choice between the Queen and President Cameron or President Corbyn?

A no brainer in my view.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
Hmmm, let's see.

A no brainer in my view.

Silly sod!!! - why would it be either??? - what we need is a 'figurehead' President, not involved in politics per se - much like the 'speaker' in the HoL is.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 01:02 PM

I thought that was what the Queen was, a figurehead, not involved in politics. Why replace one with another and possibly inferior one?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Silly sod!!! - why would it be either??? - what we need is a 'figurehead' President, not involved in politics per se - much like the 'speaker' in the HoL is.
I agree !
There is no reason to have a hereditary head of state based merely on an accident of birth.
If I were choosing a figurehead I would choose someone who merited the appointment .
There are many people who could do this who are far superior to the present Royals.
The age is adulation of a family simply because they are born into a position of privilege is past and is an anarchism in a democratic country .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
I thought that was what the Queen was, a figurehead, not involved in politics. Why replace one with another and possibly inferior one?

Do I REALLY have to spell it out to you in words of one syllable???

With a monarchy there is a whole family of leeches atttached, so you end up paying for the whole brood and once they're there, cannot be removed without a revolution, whereas, Presidents can (and should be) elected for a specific term, at the end of which they stand down and another election is held and another (different) President is elected to post. Their terms of reference are they are paid a salary, and reside in one place (not umpteen different palaces with their own staff of lackeys).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
Hmmm, let's see.

A no brainer in my view.
Why would it be a choice between the members of Parliament?

We have a Governor General and each state has a Governor who is recommended by the Government of the day. To become a republic I would expect the same principle to apply but with a different name.

Since the Governors have been locals rather than aristocratic hacks sent out from the UK they have, in general, been excellent representatives of the country.

They are usually people who have a long history of service to the country and invariably NOT in politics.

I am in complete accord with UJ on this - give the Queen a nice little house in Clapham plus a reasonable pension, send the rest out to work and open all the palaces and castles as tourist attractions

Or you could just chop off their heads.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Do I REALLY have to spell it out to you in words of one syllable???

With a monarchy there is a whole family of leeches atttached, so you end up paying for the whole brood and once they're there, cannot be removed without a revolution, whereas, Presidents can (and should be) elected for a specific term, at the end of which they stand down and another election is held and another (different) President is elected to post. Their terms of reference are they are paid a salary, and reside in one place (not umpteen different palaces with their own staff of lackeys).
And you think a President with no political power wouldn't have hangers on. Take a look around at the countries which have that system. There are plenty who build huge palaces and rob the countries blind, look at your old favourite Putin and friends in Russia. Wasn't he supposed to serve just one term? Pretty easy to get the army under your control to keep you in power even if you are initially elected.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 04:34 PM

This does not have to be the case .
Not all Presidents are corrupt.
A figurehead can be someone who is respected for what they have achieved in life, it should not IMO be simply an accident of birth.
We would not choose a doctor just because his father was a doctor why then would a figurehead be any different?
They are not a special breed just a ridiculously privileged one
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK

07-02-2016, 06:29 PM

As I have already said it is a matter of opinion. I happen to believe the current set up is a good one. why fix it when it isn't broke. You think the opposite. It seems a pretty weak reason to want to change things just because you think people are privileged. I thought the class warrior was dead and gone. It isn't as if it is in our power to change it.

Whether they are Monarch or President there are just as many hangers on even with the respected one, the US is a prime example.
What I dislike is the constant running down and bad mouthing by people of a system by some people who don't approve it, like the post I replied to in my previous post.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 06:39 PM

Oooh UJ how could you I love the Royals!! Let's face it they need the hangers on, they too need friends and people they can trust. I wouldn't like to be living their lives, not even for all the luxuries and comforts they hold.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top