Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 02:01 PM

Is your glass half full or half empty?

How do you portray yourself, either in your body language, on the phone, writing an email of even writing on a thread.

I always try to write kindly, in the positive and as helpfully as I can.

In my line of work, I have fell foul of how I have written something, USING CAPITALS MEANS YOU ARE SHOUTING AT SOMEONE in this modern age of emailing.

For those that I meet, I always give a smile and hope to express myself as cheerful, open to questions and to give honest and open responses.

All this may have been trained into me through life experiences, dealing with the public in general?

How do you feel you come across.

Is your glass half full or half empty?

I feel my glass is half full.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Re: Is your glass half full or half empty?

I'm the same as you - I try to be nice to people, and sometimes try to go a step further, such as leave a comment with a manager in the store if one of the checkout staff was extra nice

Most of the staff in M&S know me as I always chat to them at the checkouts
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Azz, I applaud you for taking the time to compliment someone.

I must admit that I try to complement someone who goes that little bit further for you, or someone else.

There is nothing nicer than hearing feedback at work that someone has made a point of saying how good you or someone else has been.

Fantastic for moral in the workplace as well.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 02:46 PM

I think it all boils down to a little politeness and courtesy costs nothing.

Funny how M&S was mentioned by someone. I've found them to be extra helpful and cheerful too and have told them so.

Last year , at christmas, I bought a box of Roses and gave them to the staff at my local library as they've always put up with me requesting them to order this book or that book.

At risk of sounding corny it does make all the difference how people treat each other in day to day life.
Manxman
Manchester, UK

27-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Well said Morticia
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 03:34 PM

I try to be polite in my day to day encounters with most people.

But I find it hard to always be polite to my husband though as impatience with his brain damaged state often makes me less than nice to him! I am not proud of myself and I try to keep out of his way if I am more stressed than usual. Sadly I don't feel about him as I once did and cannot bring myself to hug or kiss him anymore. A shameful admission I know, but that is just the way it is. So I suppose from my relationship point of view my glass is more than half empty.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dancingsky ->
I try to be polite in my day to day encounters with most people.

But I find it hard to always be polite to my husband though as impatience with his brain damaged state often makes me less than nice to him! I am not proud of myself and I try to keep out of his way if I am more stressed than usual. Sadly I don't feel about him as I once did and cannot bring myself to hug or kiss him anymore. A shameful admission I know, but that is just the way it is. So I suppose from my relationship point of view my glass is more than half empty.
Shameful?
Dancingsky I just went and had a peep at your profile (hope you don't think me nosey).
I admire and respect your honesty. Life is often a case of give and take .. and sadly, some people find themselves put in the position of been the giver ... and give their best, and give their love and give their loyalty.
But we all need some TLC. Sometimes your own reserves must drop real low .. and so I think you are been over harsh on yourself.
I do hope I don't sound too familiar saying that as I don't really post much but felt I wanted to reply to what you had written.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 03:50 PM

I've always been polite and cheerful with People and I find most folks respond to this, but you get the odd ones who don't. I can take a bit of stick and if it gets to heavy I am well able to give it back, luckily it seldom comes to that.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Shameful?
Dancingsky I just went and had a peep at your profile (hope you don't think me nosey).
I admire and respect your honesty. Life is often a case of give and take .. and sadly, some people find themselves put in the position of been the giver ... and give their best, and give their love and give their loyalty.
But we all need some TLC. Sometimes your own reserves must drop real low .. and so I think you are been over harsh on yourself.
I do hope I don't sound too familiar saying that as I don't really post much but felt I wanted to reply to what you had written.
Thank you for your comments which are taken in the spirit in which they are meant.

I am pretty stressed at present as we have had no joy selling our house, nothing is selling around here. The property is getting too much for me to cope with now. My husband was in charge of everything where our business affairs and property maintainance was concerned before his devastating illness. I am fortunate our eldest daughter has taken over the business affairs, and offers advice on other things, but I am responsible for the day to day running of things. My husband still thinks he knows best, sometimes he does, but as I can't trust his judgement anymore it can lead to many frank exchanges of views!
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2010, 04:44 PM

I also respect your honesty DS and do sympathise with your
situation without hopefully sounding patronising. I think in your position I would also find it difficult, particuarly as I am not blessed with much patience.

Re your thread Manxman, I am definitely a glass half full person - always have been but being the eternal optimist I do sometimes come down with a bump. I hate to see people upset and miserable and always give off this happy go lucky persona even though I may be feeling awful as I suffer with anxiety which is a real pain. Can't bear unpleasantness and get very upset if I see it although I have been known to lose my temper on the very odd occasion but it takes a lot for that to happen as generally I am very placid.

As others have said, it doesn't take a lot to be polite and respectful to others, if they merit it of course

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top