Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 07:08 PM

Re: We are going to Venice

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Stephan?
Older Git...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 07:43 PM

Italy is beautiful.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 08:51 PM

I've created a map for you Gasman though the forum restrictions sadly limit its size so not sure how readable it is.

The blue line is the basic walking route though mostly you'll just be following signs to "San Marco" (St Marks).

When you get to St Marks you can either hop on a vaporetto and take a trip down the canal back to Piazzale Roma or just walk back via your own route at your leisure.

I can assure you though if you take this walking route you will have a lovely day and take in a great deal of the side streets and shops and stalls.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't murder the One Cornetto song if you take a gondola ride. Gondoliers must be sick to death of tourists doing that - and it's cheesy and not funny. Just admire the view - and take comfy shoes.
I couldn't do that with my singing voice - Venice would just close!!!!!!!
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Stephan?
I'm sure that I am going mad - sorry
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 09:06 PM

I went to Rome and Venice last autumn. I had a very small bag on a shoulder strap which I kept UNDER my coat. The water taxis can be confusing when you first arrive and there's often a crush of people, and the woman who put her hand into my larger bag was upset not to find my purse and even more upset when I threatened to push her into the Grand Canal!
If you can manage it, you really should have a meal in St Marks Square. Also a Gondola Ride, preferably with a serenader.
I booked some trips with Viator which allow you to explore the city with a guide and can be well worth while.
Enjoy........
gasman
Kent, UK

01-05-2016, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the tips Lindyloo and we have used Viator a few times now. Good company and always deliver.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 11:20 PM

I was in Venice week before last Gasman... it was wonderful and actually it wasn't as expensive as I was lead to believe lots of restaurants all in competition we found prices similar to at home... our hotel was the Hotel Principe on the Grand Canal so we walked mostly but we did buy the three day Vaporetto (Public water bus) passes for 40 Euros each which were well worth it, Water Taxis are very expensive.

As well as seeing the usual sights make sure you go to the Jewish quarter which is where the word ghetto originated we found that whole section very interesting.

Try the local drink speciality Aperol Spritz... blinkin gorgeous Actually I know folks say don't sit down in St Mark's Square but we reckoned we should push the boat out I didn't eat but my hubby had a Pizza and two beers I had two Aperol spritz the bill was 70 euros. We did sit there all afternoon though and I don't regret a penny of it.

One last tip the cafes with live music cost more so choose a café close by you still hear the music but the cost is much lower. Have a great time... wish I were going again
gasman
Kent, UK

03-05-2016, 02:34 PM

Glad to hear that you had a good time Summer and many thanks for the tips
It's our first time there, so lot's of walking and boat rides for us. Not to mention copious lovely food and wine.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 02:57 PM

Looks like that's a second vote for the Aperol Spritzes Gasman. Told you didn't I I couldn't contemplate sitting in a restaurant on the canal side in the warm sun and not having an Aperol Spritz to top it off. It just has to be done. And when you get the bug for them, you'll be pleased to know Aperol has found its way to the UK in the past 2-3 years and can be easily bought in some supermarkets and most wine merchants, then all you need is a few bottles of nice prosecco and some soda water, job done. All set for summer then. Bring on the barbies !

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top