Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 06:15 PM

Suggestions for safe chewy toys please

Peaches came in the house this morning with a hard woody bit of plant stem and I found her chewing bits off and Diego eating them. After fishing a piece out of his mouth and all the other pieces we went into town and bought two squeaky toys from Pets4Home store for them to chew and play with instead.
Ive just sat on the sofa and found a couple of bits of stuffing and checked the toys and found one has a small hole in already. These were on the Kong toy section and were £8 each so not a cheap toy. Kong squeaky teddy. I was supervising them but didnt notice this being done.
Ive just checked it and its actually the seam that splitting and the polyester fibre filling is coming out. I'm going to return it tomorrow.

Please can anyone suggest safe chewy toys or chewy bones for small dogs to play with.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Re: Suggestions for safe chewy toys please

A hard rubber ball if they are chewing , a tennis ball if they dont .
Mine just rips a soft tennis ball in minutes a Rubber ball last several weeks till her teeth start to leave holes for her to start digging into it ..Shes never with out one .
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 07:07 PM

I've always found the filled bones pretty good, sold in Pets at Home, cheaper in Tesco, and cheaper still in Wilkos.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...one-dog-treats

Oh, and once they've got the filling out you can refill it with peanut butter, just make sure the peanut butter doesn't have xylitol (artificial sweetener that can be toxic to dogs)in it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 07:27 PM

I quite like the kong toys they make them for all sizes and types of chewers. I've only ever witnessed one dog actually chew one up and that was a huge mastiff who could have felled trees like a beaver given an opportunity !

The squeaky Kong tennis balls are brilliant our Elsie always managed to get the yellow fuzz off a normal tennis ball and a two day effort would break the ball in half, but she's had these squeaky Kong ones since Easter and not managed to even mark one. Squeak is quite piercing is the only drawback, it really goes through you
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 08:33 PM

Thank you for the replies.
Its a little worrying as I'm getting used to having dogs in my life again. I offered to look after these two for my daughter who is moving somewhere else to live. They were originally coming on Friday and being picked up again today but it looks as if they will be staying longer. I dont mind this at all as they have only been here two days and we have already been on some long walks and its been lovely for me having some company. I was secretly very happy when my daughter asked today if they could stay longer. I have absolutely fell in love with both little dogs.
Its just a little worrying as they are not my dogs so I'm being extra careful with them hence wanting advice about chews etc. Its bad enough when you have problems with your own dog but even more responsibility when they belong to someone else even if its my own daughter.

I was surprised that this toy broke so quickly as it is a Kong toy and I thought they would be much stronger thats why I bought them.

I will get a hard rubber ball and a Kong tennis ball and will have a look at the filled bone as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Thank you for the replies.
Its a little worrying as I'm getting used to having dogs in my life again. I offered to look after these two for my daughter who is moving somewhere else to live. They were originally coming on Friday and being picked up again today but it looks as if they will be staying longer. I dont mind this at all as they have only been here two days and we have already been on some long walks and its been lovely for me having some company. I was secretly very happy when my daughter asked today if they could stay longer. I have absolutely fell in love with both little dogs.
Its just a little worrying as they are not my dogs so I'm being extra careful with them hence wanting advice about chews etc. Its bad enough when you have problems with your own dog but even more responsibility when they belong to someone else even if its my own daughter.

I was surprised that this toy broke so quickly as it is a Kong toy and I thought they would be much stronger thats why I bought them.

I will get a hard rubber ball and a Kong tennis ball and will have a look at the filled bone as well.

Hi MC, you don't say how big these dogs are, or how long you are looking after them for?

Personally, I would say most soft toys for robust chewers are a waste of money, but strong toys and chews don't come cheap.
That is why I wondered if you are only looking after these dogs for a few days, is it worth spending a lot?

I agree with Julie about the Kong toys, and they do a range for extra strong chewers.
Also the correct size Nylabone are pretty long lasting too.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...oups/nylabone-

I would definitely avoid soft toys with squeakers that excite them. The dog will make a hole and have the squeaker out before you can blink.

Pets at Home also sell portions of Deer antlers, again expensive, but practically impossible to destroy.
They also sell Buffalo horn.

Personally I avoid the cooked bone treats, but that is only what I do for my own dogs. Cooked bones can splinter.

Have you considered some raw marrowbone from the butchers? The butcher will usually saw it up for you if you smile sweetly, and the dog will spend hours getting the marrow out, and clean their teeth at the same time.

Best of luck.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Peaches came in the house this morning with a hard woody bit of plant stem and I found her chewing bits off and Diego eating them. After fishing a piece out of his mouth and all the other pieces we went into town and bought two squeaky toys from Pets4Home store for them to chew and play with instead.
Ive just sat on the sofa and found a couple of bits of stuffing and checked the toys and found one has a small hole in already. These were on the Kong toy section and were £8 each so not a cheap toy. Kong squeaky teddy. I was supervising them but didnt notice this being done.
Ive just checked it and its actually the seam that splitting and the polyester fibre filling is coming out. I'm going to return it tomorrow.

Please can anyone suggest safe chewy toys or chewy bones for small dogs to play with.
We, and our lovely neighbour, get them from charity shops for about 50p. They might last a few days before they need to be binned.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We, and our lovely neighbour, get them from charity shops for about 50p. They might last a few days before they need to be binned.

I seem to remember reading about this some time ago, but can't remember enough about it now.

It was basically warning about using children's toys for dogs.
Some have fillings that can be dangerous and some of the outside fabrics are dyed too.

Fine for children perhaps, but they were designed only for kids, and kids don't usually lick them, or rip them up and eat them!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 09:43 PM

For little dogs I've often given them children's toys for under threes they lasted years, those teething rings were good, wouldn't use them for energetic or big chewers though. Never occurred to me they might be bad for them, luckily no one came to any harm.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-11-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
For little dogs I've often given them children's toys for under threes they lasted years, those teething rings were good, wouldn't use them for energetic or big chewers though. Never occurred to me they might be bad for them, luckily no one came to any harm.

Don't some of the childrens toys also have hundreds of those tiny polystyrene 'beads' as stuffing as well, Julie?

It' like I said really, animals and small children treat toys differently, so I personally, would rather play safe.

You'd have no come-back on the manufacturer anyway if they made an animal ill, as they weren't designed for that purpose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top