Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:57 AM

Alistair Stewart

One of the best newscasters on TV quit, not sure of details but a really huge loss to ITV.

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 12:18 PM

Re: Alistair Stewart

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
One of the best newscasters on TV quit, not sure of details but a really huge loss to ITV.

Allegedly, he posted a Shakespearian quote regarding a monkey and a black Twitter user took umbrage.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 12:37 PM

The complainant:

According to his LinkedIn page, Mr Shapland obtained a degree in modern history and political sciences from Birmingham University and has been a policy manager at the Institution of Civil Engineers for the past two years.

He was previously a House of Commons researcher.
What he complained about:

‘“But man, proud man,
Dress’d in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he’s most assur’d –
His glassy essence – like an angry ape
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As make the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
Would all themselves laugh mortal.”

Measure For Measure

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-duties.html

But an ITN source told the Mail that Alastair Stewart had the habit of using the phrase to make a point about those he felt were claiming to be experts in a certain field.

Mr Stewart did also use the quote in reference to a different person who was not identifiably black.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Okay he said ... 'angry ape' to a black Twitter user.

Perhaps he shouldn't? Perhaps he should have just given more thought about what he said on social media .... it's the modern equivalent of public execution by self-hanging. It's easy to come a cropper.

I don't think he should have gone.
Time was this kind of remark caused a brief spat or row and got resolved, with an apology ... but nowadays is escalated into a capital crime. Some folk are obsessed with sensitive ego massaging.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 12:59 PM

Mr Shapland sounds a well educated, intelligent man ... shame he feels he needs further public accreditation of his equal status in life.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Explains everything, hope he can continue if not on TV then radio, as other newsreaders have successfully switched to.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Looks like his colleagues are on his side.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 01:51 PM

What is this country coming to? It really is appalling that someone such as Alastair Stewart, with a lifetime of experience in his work, feels it is necessary to step down. It is about time we went back to the basics without all this PC business, it's doing such a lot of harm to society and will not, I believe, be generally good for society in the long run.

Read some of the comments on the link below and it's obvious he would not deliberately have done anything like this. It seems it was a comment made without any implications about race or colour so should never have ended a career in this way. I realise it was Alastair Stewart's decision to step down but he should not have been put in this position in the first place. I just hope someone treats the complainant in the same way later in his life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51307706
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
What is this country coming to? It really is appalling that someone such as Alastair Stewart, with a lifetime of experience in his work, feels it is necessary to step down. It is about time we went back to the basics without all this PC business, it's doing such a lot of harm to society and will not, I believe, be generally good for society in the long run.

Read some of the comments on the link below and it's obvious he would not deliberately have done anything like this. It seems it was a comment made without any implications about race or colour so should never have ended a career in this way. I realise it was Alastair Stewart's decision to step down but he should not have been put in this position in the first place. I just hope someone treats the complainant in the same way later in his life.

I agree with all you've said Baz. It's ridiculous.
I feel for Alastair.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by baz46 ->
what is this country coming to? It really is appalling that someone such as alastair stewart, with a lifetime of experience in his work, feels it is necessary to step down. It is about time we went back to the basics without all this pc business, it's doing such a lot of harm to society and will not, i believe, be generally good for society in the long run.

Read some of the comments on the link below and it's obvious he would not deliberately have done anything like this. It seems it was a comment made without any implications about race or colour so should never have ended a career in this way. I realise it was alastair stewart's decision to step down but he should not have been put in this position in the first place. I just hope someone treats the complainant in the same way later in his life.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:57 PM

Once again, who caused the upset? Not Shakespeare, not Stewart, not anyone on here. It was Mr Shapland who made the connection between a monkey and a black person. It's a shame that someone so intelligent lacks confidence in himself.

Having said that, Alistaire Stewart should have known better. We all have to think about what we say these days in case a snowflake is listening in.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top